Turkeys?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna build another chicken tractor or two anyway. Not as heavy, not as tall and someday I will build the utopian chicken tractor!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm starting my breed research......

Royal Palms have the least filled out breast of the turkey varieties. :hit

When you narrow your search, let me know I have a pretty good book you can use to help you make a more informed decision.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know that if I ever raise another turkey, it will be in its own seperate pen. Even as a few days old, it was attaking the chicks. When it got older, it started killing my hens and tried killing one of my roosters. Instead of waiting til it was about 4 months. It still dressed about ten pounds.

Odd... Mine are not agressive at all but the hens do get "pecky" when sitting. But so are my chicken hens when sitting, actually chicken hens are worse, they draw blood.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If I want to move turkeys from one pasture to another and then back home for the night, do they drive or will they follow? It would be nice to put them in the garden in the fall so they could eat the danged grasshoppers. I have a small coop in the garden (want to tear it down) and have chickens in it now. They and the sheep have really enjoyed themselves on my weeds, seeds, grasshoppers and other bugs.

What about acorns? We have lots of oak trees. This year there hasn't been much in the way of acorns, but most years, there is plenty.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the input @farmerjan I always value your advice and ideas. I guess I want to raise a turkey that is not like store bought. Whatever breed I decide on, I just don't know yet. I like the looks of the Bourbon Red and I like the looks and the size of the Royal Palm. Since you raised Royal Palm, I can ask you how they fared as a table bird. I read that the Royal Palm turkeys don't have a lot of breast meat. Most people like the breast meat, so just how much do they have?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, the garbage can is a 55 gallon drum. They come in handy for many things.

Apple Brine

2 qts water
2 qts CHEAP apple juice
1 c table salt OR 1 1/2 c kosher salt
1/2 c brown sugar
10 whole cloves
1 T black peppercorns
zest of 1 orange
6 cloves of garlic, minced
apple, halved

In large pot combine salt, sugar, and 1 qt water. Bring to a light boil stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat, add cloves, peppercorn and zest. Allow to cool. Add remaining water and apple juice. Refrigerate until completely chilled.

Place poultry in container. Pour brine inside cavity first then on top. Cover completely. Brine 1 hour per pound in refrigerator.

Thoroughly rinse all brine off before cooking or it will be salty.

(I added garlic and apple halves to the cavity when cooking.)
This sounds awesome! I wonder how that would work in ice chests? That way I could brine 2 at a time, I could borrow a neighbor's ice chest too and do 2 more. Maybe 1 quart water in the brine and 1 quart apple juice, make apple juice ice cubes with the other quart. Hmmm........double the recipe, drown turkeys, ice down overnight.

Did you rest the turkey of go from slaughter to brine?