Turkeys?

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They went right into a chest full of ice and water for 24 hours. We took them out, dried them off and put them in a heat-shrink bag before putting them in the freezer.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
$10 for 3 month olds? That’s a DEAL! You need to jump on that like a turkey on a June bug!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too bad, that was a deal! Probably somebody already scooped them up.

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't checked in for a while!

I've settled on getting some Bourbon Reds and White Hollands next year. I'll butcher all the Hollands and save the best quality trio of Bourbons.

The problem is that the place I am ordering them from only starts selling the birds mid-way through June as day old poults. Do you think they'll have enough meat on them at five months to eat for Thanksgiving? I would only want one or two for the feast, and the rest I would happily wait to butcher.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't checked in for a while!

I've settled on getting some Bourbon Reds and White Hollands next year. I'll butcher all the Hollands and save the best quality trio of Bourbons.

The problem is that the place I am ordering them from only starts selling the birds mid-way through June as day old poults. Do you think they'll have enough meat on them at five months to eat for Thanksgiving? I would only want one or two for the feast, and the rest I would happily wait to butcher.

Heritage breeds no... They need more time than 5 months. My experience is 1 year minimum.

Last edited:

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Heritage needs no... They need more time than 5 months. My experience is 1 year minimum.
Okay, maybe I'll get a couple Broad-Breasted poults for this year, and next year is when the fun will start! Thanks!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just FYI .... Read article where they blind tested commercial raised and 8 breeds of heritage, private farm raised for preferred tastes. Farm raised won. Midget whites first by slight margin, red bourbons 2nd.