Turkeys?

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bay, the garbage can is a 55 gallon drum. They come in handy for many things.

Apple Brine

2 qts water
2 qts CHEAP apple juice
1 c table salt OR 1 1/2 c kosher salt
1/2 c brown sugar
10 whole cloves
1 T black peppercorns
zest of 1 orange
6 cloves of garlic, minced
apple, halved

In large pot combine salt, sugar, and 1 qt water. Bring to a light boil stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat, add cloves, peppercorn and zest. Allow to cool. Add remaining water and apple juice. Refrigerate until completely chilled.

Place poultry in container. Pour brine inside cavity first then on top. Cover completely. Brine 1 hour per pound in refrigerator.

Thoroughly rinse all brine off before cooking or it will be salty.

(I added garlic and apple halves to the cavity when cooking.)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since day old poults are $5 to $10, and these are 3 months and well past the heat/brooder babying stage, that is a very good buy. Granted, they won't lay this fall/winter.... But will be worth $25 and up in the spring. It they were near here, I would get them for myself.
I sold a couple around 3 month old hens for $20.00 each. Nothing special about them other than they were burbon reds. Honestly I was glad to part with one of the hens, man she was a jabber jaw... key key key all day long, geeze shut up already! Something wasn't right with that girl.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh Bay I forgot about one of the vocal sounds young hens make I swear it sounds just like"I AM PRETTY" it's limited to young hens and its tone is almost like a whistle. My 5 year old granddaughter pointed it out to me. She said Paw Paw that turkey is saying I am pretty and she's right that's sure what it sounds like to me.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha, I had a Longhorn bull once, I had to carry a pipe to keep him from charging and that didn't always work. I'd take a batter up stance and whack him as hard as I could on his nose right before he ran me down. He caught me without the pipe one time, started pawing, lowered his head, preparing to charge. I squatted down in a ball. This confused him, he stopped pawing, raising his head, cocking it from side to side trying to figure out where I went and what is THAT? I slowly stood up, put my arms out and charged! This scared the bejeebers out of him and he ran. My "horns" were bigger than his. :lol:

And that is but one of the reasons I no longer want to wrangle 1,500 to 2,000 pound bulls. I am just fine with a steer to feed out for the freezer and my SHEEP!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK, back to turkeys. Do you ever let them out to free range?

Watching the country music awards last night, a film clip showed Luke Bryant and family under lockdown, they invited family and had a house full to hunker down with. During the interview, there was a proud Tom Royal Palm displaying in the background, up against the patio glass doors. Next shot, they opened the door and the Tom strolled right on in. LOL LOL

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Food Lion started it with Turkeys $0.29 a pound with $35 order. Publix wants $0.39 a pound with no strings attached. Walmart $0.69 a pound. Harris Teeter and Lowes Foods will have their ads out on Wednesday. Walmart had already dropped Sweet Potatoes from $0.99 to $0.67 a pound. Hopefully Harris Teeter wiil offer them for $0.19 a pound, again year. Last year bought around 400 lbs. Some to give away, some bought for family & friends and the rest for our use.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Drunk turkeys.......take pictures! I had a pet raccoon when I was a kid. My Daddy gave him Jack Daniels in a teaspoon, he lapped it up. The raccoon took the spoon and licked it, then started running into the walls, hunching his back up like a cat and prancing sideways.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Drunk turkeys.......take pictures! I had a pet raccoon when I was a kid. My Daddy gave him Jack Daniels in a teaspoon, he lapped it up. The raccoon took the spoon and licked it, then started running into the walls, hunching his back up like a cat and prancing sideways.
You had a pet racoon, of course you did. What was I thinking?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We haven't because it's just the two of us. I could raise some midget whites or something I guess. I like the looks of royal palms and have thought of getting a few for lawn art.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the eye candy of the Royal Palm turkeys too. Just need to know their dressed out size. Like the Bourbon Reds too. Pending on my success I would want to know if they nest, brood and raise their own young. How hard to keep confined in a pasture, could I drive them to the yard for acorns or different pastures and drive them back “home”. So many questions!