Turkeys?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pondering!!!!! There ya go -- it's coming. That is our problematic process. I've even put things "pondered" on a back burner and find myself looking and driving and one day find a pen full of the pondered in my yard. :lol: How'd that happen?

Yep, they will buy! Midget whites? Poults first to feed out and decide on more?

Mostly turkey farms use purchased poults. Me? Nope, I'd want a pair to raise them...a gluten for punishment but, it's the DIY, self reliant part of me. Been some nice pairs at the goat auction of late. I have had great self control! No gobblers yet. ;)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pondering!!!!! There ya go -- it's coming. That is our problematic process. I've even put things "pondered" on a back burner and find myself looking and driving and one day find a pen full of the pondered in my yard. :lol: How'd that happen?

Yep, they will buy! Midget whites? Poults first to feed out and decide on more?

Mostly turkey farms use purchased poults. Me? Nope, I'd want a pair to raise them...a gluten for punishment but, it's the DIY, self reliant part of me. Been some nice pairs at the goat auction of late. I have had great self control! No gobblers yet. ;)
Yep look at midget whites - I was gonna suggest that also

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Turkeys will fly up and roost as high as they can go. If you wanted to keep them on the ground then you will have to cut one side wing feathers.
All that has been posted is pretty much right. Royal palms will dress in the 15 lb range Bourbon reds a little bigger. They have to get somewhat mature/full size in order to put on the meat. Like kids they grow then fill out. My royal palms did a good job of raising their poults. The BBReds not as good. But that can be just the particular hens too. Turkey egg whites make superb meringue.....thicker egg yolks.

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How old should a turkey be before harvesting? I want to raise some turkeys next year!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How long for Midget Whites to be ready for processing?

@WildBird feel free to use this like your own thread, we'll share information. Sounds like we are both on the same page, so let's pool our ideas and questions.

I'm thinking that I'll buy poults to raise for Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner. If I like the experience, then I may drift off into breeding stock. Choosing what breed will take study.....I got all winter!

Should I make them their own pasture and shelter? Maybe I could raise them in the backyard with Paris to watch them....... she sure won't relocate, so I could bring them to her. But I'm thinking Pasture #2, maybe the side pasture between the back yard and back of the sheep barn. Dunno. Paris is an egg eating fiend. I think all of my dogs are, can't very well have a nesting hen out in the bushes, they will eat the eggs. Things to ponder.....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It will give you more than just seeds to search this winter. ;)

I've been told that they are pretty dumb as young ones. ? ? ? So maybe use your CCX tractor for them until they get a little older? By then you will be ready to add the quickie CCX flock. I'm helping you think....ok, enabling :lol:

You have an incubator?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna build another chicken tractor or two anyway. Not as heavy, not as tall and someday I will build the utopian chicken tractor!

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@WildBird feel free to use this like your own thread, we'll share information. Sounds like we are both on the same page, so let's pool our ideas and questions.
Thank you! Here I go...

If you go with freaks (Broad Breasted) that can't bread naturally, not long no more than 6 months. But a minimum 1 year for heritage breeds.
A year, okay. I would definitely go for a heritage breed, and if I like them I might keep a pair or two around throughout winter so I can breed in the spring.

What breeds do you recommend? Egg laying is a bonus, but not necessary. And hatcheries you would recommend? My local hatchery doesn't have heritage breeds.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you! Here I go...

A year, okay. I would definitely go for a heritage breed, and if I like them I might keep a pair or two around throughout winter so I can breed in the spring.

What breeds do you recommend? Egg laying is a bonus, but not necessary. And hatcheries you would recommend? My local hatchery doesn't have heritage breeds.

Yep that's how I got started. I purchased 5 chicks from a local farm. Turned out to be 2 Tom's and three hens. After several generations and Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners I now have 1 Tom and 4 hens.plus a Tom and Hen in the deep freezer for the upcoming holidays.