Turn Off Your Cell Phones....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Morel, it's hard to not feel badly sometimes. I just feel like people would look at us a mooching. I don't want the rep of a mooch!

Yesterday we were talking to a lady about a program that may possibly help us get a well. It was the first time I had really expressed my frustrations with the system, as the system I feel has failed us. She was shocked to hear how we haven't had water in 7 years and said she didn't know how we were surviving.

I immediately said, "Barter barter barter!" and I told her that I'm going up to get two turkeys today in trade for eggs LOL She was in awe. She said the way this economy is tanking, so many people aren't going to know how to make ends meet, but because DH and I have been in the tank for nearly 4 years, by the time everyone joins us we'll be the ones surviving because I've already set up my bartering system. :p

How's that for a compliment?!

But I do get frustrated. I felt bad that I let my emotions get the best of me and I ranted and raved to this woman that it is absolutely NOT fair that my husband started working at 17 years of age and worked hard and steady until his back was injured. People up the road from us collect SSI/Disability on two out of 3 of their kids, and the kids are not disabled!!! The parents live off their kids SSI and don't work! They got $14,000 back pay for their daughter, who needs a bed, and whild DD didn't get a bed DAD got a Harley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just irritates me to no end! My husband and I worked our tails off! We paid in to SSI/Disability and it's supposed to be there for us when we need it!! He paid into it, he's hurt HE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO COLLECT WHAT HE PAID!!!!!!!!!!!

But nooooooo, he gets denied while Mom and Dad up the road who do not need help getting dressed or to the bathroom, etc..are collecting it for their kids...and what gets me is NO ONE knows whether or not those kids could work a job, because those kids aren't OLD enough to work a job!!!!!!!!! Only because the kids are labeled ADD and ADHD so they get disability!!

I'd label those kids as UNDISCIPLINED! never had a SPANKING......

:barnie :he :somad

Sorry, I got carried away........
Quail you said a well isn't a need. It is a want.
You have tax money coming....spend it....why use a govt. program to help buy your well for you? Don't take this wrong please cause if you have the cash, then buying a well is more important than a chicken house if you want that well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think having a cell phone is a luxury at all.
For some it is a real need. Kids need to call home, you need to be safe being a woman on the road, etc. etc.

granted I don't have one.

many take advantage of the "system"
while an electric bill might be $200, a cell phone can be as little as $20 per month.

one you can afford, one you can't.

I don't think it is all that bad.....don't get me wrong, there are many sucking from the system......but some don't.

balancing act for who is deserving and who isn't...who are we to say I guess.

But it does make one wonder I guess.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Morel, it's hard to not feel badly sometimes. I just feel like people would look at us a mooching. I don't want the rep of a mooch!

Yesterday we were talking to a lady about a program that may possibly help us get a well. It was the first time I had really expressed my frustrations with the system, as the system I feel has failed us. She was shocked to hear how we haven't had water in 7 years and said she didn't know how we were surviving.

I immediately said, "Barter barter barter!" and I told her that I'm going up to get two turkeys today in trade for eggs LOL She was in awe. She said the way this economy is tanking, so many people aren't going to know how to make ends meet, but because DH and I have been in the tank for nearly 4 years, by the time everyone joins us we'll be the ones surviving because I've already set up my bartering system. :p

But I do get frustrated. I felt bad that I let my emotions get the best of me and I ranted and raved to this woman that it is absolutely NOT fair that my husband started working at 17 years of age and worked hard and steady until his back was injured. People up the road from us collect SSI/Disability on two out of 3 of their kids, and the kids are not disabled!!! The parents live off their kids SSI and don't work! They got $14,000 back pay for their daughter, who needs a bed, and whild DD didn't get a bed DAD got a Harley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just irritates me to no end! My husband and I worked our tails off! We paid in to SSI/Disability and it's supposed to be there for us when we need it!! He paid into it, he's hurt HE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO COLLECT WHAT HE PAID!!!!!!!!!!!

But nooooooo, he gets denied while Mom and Dad up the road who do not need help getting dressed or to the bathroom, etc..are collecting it for their kids...and what gets me is NO ONE knows whether or not those kids could work a job, because those kids aren't OLD enough to work a job!!!!!!!!! Only because the kids are labeled ADD and ADHD so they get disability!!

Worrying about what other people get is a waste of energy.
My husband has had 4 major back surgeries, as well as a spinal fusion.
He had been at the same company for many many years and lost his job because he could no longer work in that capacity.
Did it hurt us financially? You bet it did, but instead of dealing with the system he got a job that pays less but its a job that he can at least do and we will slowly get back to where we should be.
We all pay into the system, I worked since I was 15. Life isn't always fair.
I use to make very good money as well, until I hurt my back and I had 3 surgeries and a fusion.
My leg was paralyzed from a crushed nerve, I walked with the use of a walker for 6 months before I moved on to a cane.
I can't work at my job anymore either.
I find other ways to make money where I can and I splurge on nothing unless my kids have what they need and it won't take away from anything else we need as a family.
What are ya gonna do? I can't worry about what other people are getting or what they do with their money. Its none of my business so I don't even make it my business to know what goes on in other people's lives, I don't have the energy to waste.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Quail_Antwerp said:

Quail you said a well isn't a need. It is a want.
You have tax money coming....spend it....why use a govt. program to help buy your well for you? Don't take this wrong please cause if you have the cash, then buying a well is more important than a chicken house if you want that well.
The return isn't large enough to get the well, but we did tell them that we would be willing to put the return towards the well.

And you are correct, a well isn't a need, not in our minds, but the county people view it as a need. :rolleyes: Doesn't mean I don't want one.

The wells start out at $5k, that's the lowest cost....and that's just drilled and capped...not piped to the house. To have the whole kit and kaboodle done, we're looking at $10K+, so yea, the return is not large enough.

And the program we are looking into is a loan program. We would have to pay x amount each month back on the well, so it's not free.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Actually, a well/ running water is considered a basic necessity in the United States. If you rent, running water is essential and landlords have to provide you access to electricity and water/septic facilities. If they fail to do so or fail to provide other living quarters while this is being provided for, they can be taken to court.

Quail, I see no reason why you cannot avail yourself of assistance to get a well drilled. After all, you/your husband have paid into this system for many years and have not benefitted from it. These programs are to help people and should not have the stigma they now carry. They would not if it weren't for the many who shamelessly abuse the system.

I would love to see the folks who think your well is a want, instead of a need, do without their running water for awhile and see if they change their minds. ;)

As for cell phones? Purely a want, not a necessity at all~especially for kids. We functioned for many years without cell phones and never suffered one bit by not being able to be in touch with someone 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Have you noticed that this constant need to remain in touch at all times has actually contributed to families not spending as much time together and contributed to less self-sufficiency? The more technology we depend upon, the less humans depend upon each other and develop close relationships, the less we learn how to fend for ourselves instead of calling for help. Sort of like this forum, huh? Rather talk to people far away than our own neighbors... :p :lol:

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You need running water far more than you need a cell phone. If there are programs in place to help get a well, then I'd be putting in that well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Actually, a well/ running water is considered a basic necessity in the United States. If you rent, running water is essential and landlords have to provide you access to electricity and water/septic facilities. If they fail to do so or fail to provide other living quarters while this is being provided for, they can be taken to court.

Quail, I see no reason why you cannot avail yourself of assistance to get a well drilled. After all, you/your husband have paid into this system for many years and have not benefitted from it. These programs are to help people and should not have the stigma they now carry. They would not if it weren't for the many who shamelessly abuse the system.

I would love to see the folks who think your well is a want, instead of a need, do without their running water for awhile and see if they change their minds. ;)

As for cell phones? Purely a want, not a necessity at all~especially for kids. We functioned for many years without cell phones and never suffered one bit by not being able to be in touch with someone 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Have you noticed that this constant need to remain in touch at all times has actually contributed to families not spending as much time together and contributed to less self-sufficiency? The more technology we depend upon, the less humans depend upon each other and develop close relationships, the less we learn how to fend for ourselves instead of calling for help. Sort of like this forum, huh? Rather talk to people far away than our own neighbors... :p :lol:
Bee--Quails own words she typed was that a well was a want for her, not a need. She said that herself so don't be thinking we are putting more spin onto this then it has been stated by her......

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Cell phomes are most definitely not a need unless you work for a bussiness that supplies one. I would never get caught in the cell phone trap! I don't have one and have no need to have one...as for the kids there's a payphone on every corner:>)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail that is cool to put what you can into it and get assistance for the rest if you can. To turn on the tap is great...LOL-LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok well I am sorry I posted so much personal stuff here. I hope ya'll won't hold it against me too much.

I just found it ironic that a place to help low income families get heat or electric would need to ask you to shut off your cell phone.