Turn Off Your Cell Phones....

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
There's always two sides to every story.
My DH is on SSD and will never be well enough to get off. Before his organ transplant he was told to get a cell phone in addition to our land line so he could receive the call as soon as the organ came in.
After the transplant he was told to keep the cell so they could call him with results of his weekly blood work, so he could report symptoms of rejection wherever he was, etc. They have called his cell and told him to get right back up to the hospital on several occasions since the transplant.
He has fallen a couple times while I was at work and used the cell to call the fire dept to help him up. I have a cell in case the doctors can't get his. Ours are those $20 tracfones but they are dependable.

Unless you intimately know why someone has a cell phone, don't prejudge.

I hope this works out for you Quail. Will they consider 1200 gallon plastic tank that you could have water delivered to? Well water in our area is low and most have the tanks..

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
slyvie, you are so right, and I was wrong to just assume people have a cell phone and don't need one. I hope your husband is doing well!

I don't know about the plastic tank and hauling in. I didn't ask. What I would like to do is gravity feed the water to a holding tank or directly to our house from the spring on the back of our property. But, it's down way back about 400 feet and down a hill, and I'm not sure how hard that would be.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
slyvie, you are so right, and I was wrong to just assume people have a cell phone and don't need one. I hope your husband is doing well!

I don't know about the plastic tank and hauling in. I didn't ask. What I would like to do is gravity feed the water to a holding tank or directly to our house from the spring on the back of our property. But, it's down way back about 400 feet and down a hill, and I'm not sure how hard that would be.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean you in particular, I was speaking generally.
Spring water sounds great. If it was developed a little you could buy one of those pumps used for Koi ponds and and periodically fill a holding tank. We found one for $25 at a Big Lots store.

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My sister's DH recently became unemployed. They shut off their cable and phone in favor of their cell phones and are cutting corners everywhere they can. My sister went in to apply for food stamps but was denied (I don't know why). Then she went and applied for WIC. She was telling me how the WIC office is doing a physical when you apply so that they can determine the family's nutritional needs. We started discussing how food stamps and other government aid should be much more restricted. Both of us have been in line at the check-out in the supermarket behind an obese family with the conveyer belt loaded down with TV dinners, soda, cookies, donuts, frozen pizzas, ice cream and tons of other equally unhealthy 'food' and at the end they pull out their food stamp card. Now there's no way anyone can convince me that these people NEED this type of food. We live on a pretty modest budget for our groceries and buy mostly whole foods because it's healthier and because we get more for our money. I guess when you're getting free money then it's affordable to pump your body full of processed food, carcinogens, neurotoxins and goodness knows what else. We don't eat the way we do because we're poor. We eat this way because we want to maximize the quality of our lives. The last time I ate a cheeseburger from a fast-food chain I could swear I felt the toxins exiting my body through the pores in my skin. I felt unclean.

So I don't really have a problem with cell phones as much as I have a problem with those who take advantage. If more people would focus on eating healthier then there would be fewer people relying on disability and thus food stamps for diseases caused by obesity and unhealthy lifestyles. Please understand that I'm not attacking everyone who has a little extra weight. I realize that some people do have genuine medical conditions that are not preventable. Those are not the people I'm talking about.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
What do you mean by a 'physical' at the WIC office? I and my kiddos have only ever been weighed, measured, and had our iron checked. The last time when I just signed up they even changed the paper work so I did not have to write down our daily diet.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
PamsPride said:
What do you mean by a 'physical' at the WIC office? I and my kiddos have only ever been weighed, measured, and had our iron checked. The last time when I just signed up they even changed the paper work so I did not have to write down our daily diet.
Isn't trying to write down that daily diet AWFUL?!

"Oh, how many times a day/week do you eat(insert veggie/fruit/meat/grain/dairy choice here)

Um, I dunno?!

You should have seen their faces the last time my kids said they love a good alphalfa sprout sandwich! :lol:

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Yeah, it was! Thankfully they do not have it anymore!! :woot LOL!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Both of us have been in line at the check-out in the supermarket behind an obese family with the conveyer belt loaded down with TV dinners, soda, cookies, donuts, frozen pizzas, ice cream and tons of other equally unhealthy 'food' and at the end they pull out their food stamp card. Now there's no way anyone can convince me that these people NEED this type of food.
I would be willing to bet a good majority never learned how to cook and are just eating like THEIR parents ate.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
greenrootsmama said:
If more people would focus on eating healthier then there would be fewer people relying on disability and thus food stamps for diseases caused by obesity and unhealthy lifestyles.
Just a note:
Disability isn't easy to get on. You need three to five major things wrong, tons of medical documentation, a lawyer and an appearance before a federal judge and an examination by a state physician. Disability isn't something you get along with a food stamp application. There is a 2 to 4 year wait in which you go through your life savings, retirement accounts, borrow from relatives to survive the wait, usually lose your home, all the while still needing medications and care.

ETA yeah I know I'm a downer today, sorry all.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
sylvie said:
greenrootsmama said:
If more people would focus on eating healthier then there would be fewer people relying on disability and thus food stamps for diseases caused by obesity and unhealthy lifestyles.
Just a note:
Disability isn't easy to get on. You need three to five major things wrong, tons of medical documentation, a lawyer and an appearance before a federal judge and an examination by a state physician. Disability isn't something you get along with a food stamp application. There is a 2 to 4 year wait in which you go through your life savings, retirement accounts, borrow from relatives to survive the wait, usually lose your home, all the while still needing medications and care.

ETA yeah I know I'm a downer today, sorry all.
Yes, sylive, this is soooooo true! Thankfully we haven't lost our house, but we are starting in year 4 here. We've done ALL of that except the state physician exam. They didn't offer him the state exam, and he begged for it. He did go before the federal judge. They denied him.

His lawyer dropped him like a hot potato, said there's nothing more I can do for you, and wouldn't even help him file an appeal.

Soo, DH went to work. Even though his Dr. told him not to. Now his back is worse (not blaming the job he had at all!) and his Dr. encouraged him to re-apply because this time he's going for back surgery. Know what they said THIS time? "Oh, your claim looks much better because we see where you worked or tried to work several times over the last couple years!" WHAT?!