Turning a spare room into a pantry.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
SUCCESS ! I figured out what I was doing wrong with my dad's cordless drill, so now I am almost done with the shelving unit. Probably will finish in the morning. It is going to be awesome !!! this section is one of three I will ultimately build, and each section will hold 450 quarts or 900 pints, stacked with a buffer between them of double thicknesses of cardboard. That doesn't count the 18" open space at the bottom, where I will store canning equipment and supplies.

Picture+525

This is one end (duh). I am cutting supports to secure both to the shelves and the studs (16" on center), and the shelves are 10" apart vertically. There will be a lip on each shelf for safety, and I am going to add a second 2x4 (as seen on the right) to give continuity to the finished project, and maybe some additional support. Not sure about that part.

This is my first big solo building project, and while there are cosmetic issues, I am pretty proud of doing it by myself.

And it's level in all directions!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is so cool! And just think, you're learning so much building it! A hige part of SS isn't just have the systems already in place, its also being able to build them again if you need to. :)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
It was such a typical ADD mistake. There were Phillips bits stored along the body of the drill. They had long shanks. I didn't notice them and tried to use a standard Phillips bit, which was too short to handle the torque of the drill, so it pushed itself back into the drill. The shank on the correct bit was long enough to push against the end of the channel and thus remain in place.

Clear as mud, right?

I am too sleepy to try and make sense !!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looking great!! Glad you got the drill figured out...LOL Been there, done that! I cant waite to see the finished project!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad you're adding a lip, so that they don't fall or tip in the next earth rumbling. You may not have that many where you live, LC2K, but you never know....I have always had my china cabinet and TV cabinet anchored to the walls where ever I live so they don't tip over.... like my credenza/bookcase did at work, over top of me while I was hiding under my desk in the '89 earthquake in the Bay Area.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Glad you're adding a lip, so that they don't fall or tip in the next earth rumbling. You may not have that many where you live, LC2K, but you never know....I have always had my china cabinet and TV cabinet anchored to the walls where ever I live so they don't tip over.... like my credenza/bookcase did at work, over top of me while I was hiding under my desk in the '89 earthquake in the Bay Area.
That's what happened to my sister during that quake too. She was in a high rise in SF. I am always conscious of earthquakes. It is why I no longer have hanging plants in my house.

Making mental notes for our pantry: attach shelving to wall, put lip on edge to keep jars from flying about the room.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, we don't really have earthquakes here. Too far away from a fault line, but you never know...so I am going to ewrr on the side of caution. I thought I had a lot of trim in the eaves of the garage, but when I put on my glasses, it was a bed frame. So, we will have to have faith that no earthquakes will hit until I can get the trim !

Loading up the shelves, and then will apply the cosmetic 2x4's to cover the unsightly joints.