Turning a spare room into a pantry.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't wait to see those 1200 jars all lined up nice and neat. You'll be giving Skr8pn a run for his money. :thumbsup

gina

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, this is close to half of the original 1200. I gave away more than 100, maybe 125, for Christmas gifts. This is the meats, stews, soups, sweet and white potatoes, stocks -- basically main dishes or things with which to make main dishes. This is the first of three identical segments which will hold the home canned foods. I still have fruits, vegetables, beverages, jams, jellies, sauces such as BBQ and catsup, tomato salsa, and pickles.

Will need to wait until I can get more lumber to build the next segment. Tomorrow I will make the black out cover for it, and once the home office completely morphs into a pantry, I will black out the window, just to be on the safe side.

Ya know, I wasn't really sure I could do this, and there are some definite cosmetic issues, but structurally it is sound and I am happy. And very tired!!!

Picture529.jpg

Picture528.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:clap It looks amazing!!! :ep You have outdone yourself. It couldn't be any better. It is secured to the wall right? Just kidding.

Keep up the great work.

gina

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Securing it to the wall...THAT'S what I forgot ! ;)

Yes, it's sturdy. I guess it needs to be!

And I just found six more cases of main course meals in a back closet, so I will have to change the arrangement a bit tomorrow so it will make sense. You know, I thought I was missing something....like 15 more quarts of ham, turkey loaf, enchilada sauce and BBQ sauce, and more that I can't read because the closet is dark!!!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YAY! Congrats! We should have a mini "you can do anything" type parade. :p

Here, I'll have Kirby dance for you:
<("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")><("<)(>")>:lol:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow, that looks fantastic! Great Job!

I don't know your situation there, but if there is a chance for earthquakes, you may want to add a 1x2 strip of wood (or something similar) a couple of inches up from each shelf to keep the jars from hitting the floor during a tremor. It's won't work for the one stacked on top of each other, but at least the quarts may stay.

We used commercially made, plastic coated wire shelving for ours, but yours looks so much more sturdy. I can honestly say that I wish we had seen yours before ours was completed.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Well, we don't really have earthquakes here. Too far away from a fault line, but you never know...so I am going to ewrr on the side of caution. I thought I had a lot of trim in the eaves of the garage, but when I put on my glasses, it was a bed frame. So, we will have to have faith that no earthquakes will hit until I can get the trim !
:yuckyuck yep, I've developed that need-my-glasses-problem too.

Wow, the unit turned out GREAT! You did a super job. I can't wait to see what you do next.