Turning old into new

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SO just came in all excited, he figured out that the top of a liquid deterent bottle fits perfectly on his flashlight, thus giving off a bright red glow, great for signaling in case of emergency. Will also work for gentle illumination, when you don't want that bright glare. He figures it will also keep dirt and finger smudges off his flashlight.
Next we'll be shopping for detergent by the color of the cap :lol:

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Yesterday I had dinner with a friend and she showed me what her husband (a big time collector) did with an old large satelite dish. He took off the metal screen "skin" leaving just the skeleton. He then flipped it over and attached it to a long pole like an umbrella. The umbrella contraption was placed along the trunk of their young cherry tree. (You see where I'm going here?) Then he draped it with that bird proof mesh all the way down to the ground to keep the birds out. She said this was the first year she could enjoy her cherries.

He told me that he got the idea from a friend who turned his old satelite dish into a gazebo. You would not have even noticed there was a satelite dish in the design because it was covered with grape vines.

I read here on this thread that someone else used a satelite dish to shade their picnic table. All great ideas!!!
My uncle uses old satelite dishes mounted on tall poles to hang his martin gourds on.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I am so glad these monster dishes are getting a second life and not ending up in the landfills, or I like to call them landFULLs. :thumbsup

Now, what are martin gourds? Are they martin bird houses made out of gourds?

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Alright now I can think of all the things I scrounged this year..

I added some garden fencing to my vacant pig pen and turned it into a nice coop and run for my Rouen ducks

Turned a free plastic dog house into a coop / laying area for my silkies

Turned Vinegar and apple jugs into waterers for my chickens and ducks

used some free glass doors as wind and rain blocks for winterizing my silkie and grow out coop.

made an old queen sized homemade bed frame into a raised garden bed and used another one covered by recyled house doors to make a roof over my milking stand.

used 5 gallon buckets for rain water collection

used pvc that was given to us to make an outdoor rain shower, used an old unused basketball goal to hang it from

re-used plastic gallon mayonaise jars to store pretzels, chips and cereal

used canning jars to store spices and flax seed and gluton

make chicken feeders out of 3 liter drink bottles

I buy the coke bottle rabbit licker water spouts from jeffers so I can just change out the bottles with new apple cider vinegar, or 1 litter mountain dew or green tea bottles. Keeps my rabbits water fresh and eliminates having to clean, soak and bleach bottles. Plus they will even fit a 2 litter bottle if im going camping for a day or two I can give them extra.

Re used Stacking Stanley tool bins for chicken and rabbit nest boxes

turned a free rabbit hutch into a two story chick condo

Reused free pvc to tie up and stabalize vegetables in garden

made 3 incubators out of old styrofoam coolers

reused fans out of old PC towers to circulate air in incubators

Thats all I can think of right now

the4heathernsmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I absolutely loce the terrace with the telephone poles. That is awesome!!! It looks fantastic and I would love to have it. Too bad about the poles man we could really use them here. We need some terracing so badly they would be perfect!!!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I am so glad these monster dishes are getting a second life and not ending up in the landfills, or I like to call them landFULLs. :thumbsup

Now, what are martin gourds? Are they martin bird houses made out of gourds?
Sorry I hadn't answered until now, but I completely missed your post. Yep, he takes the gourds and makes martin houses out of them. I'm sure there is a proper name for the gourds, but I've always known them as martin gourds. They are the ones with the nice round bottom that tapers down to a short handle. Kind of reminds me of a fat teardrop. :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I do quite a bit of re-purposing around here as well, but my very favorite is my Chick Mobile!
266_dcfc0307.jpg

I got this old half a Ford pickup truck utility trailer for $25.00 from my friend. Her husband had made the trailer years ago and used it to haul their firewood, but the floor was developing big holes and the springs were rusted away. I got a plastic bed liner on Craigslist for $10 and a camper shell for free from another friend that was going to trash it. The roosts are made of 2 X 2's salvaged from another project. So with $35.00 worth of materials I have made a chick brooder on wheels that I have used for the last 5 years to raise all of my families broiler chickens and start all of our turkeys!

Plus one year we actually stole the camper shell off of the Chick Mobile and put it on my truck to go on vacation in!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farmfresh....excellent recycling! Love that idea! What ya got growin' there so lush and green......? :D