Turning old into new

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
Ok, thats it, I'm moving to Beekissed's house! I love it!

*not really gonna move in with you, sorry if I scared ya, lol
I like it too....wish it were really mine! :D Its old and not a bit glamorous but it has a good feel to it, all the same. And the view is a good one! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Your diggs are beautiful Bekissed!
Oh, I've SEEN a pic of your place, Morel! Way out of my league for beauty!! Lovely and neat as a pin! That's why you are building me that cute little house, huh? :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
MorelCabin said:
Your diggs are beautiful Bekissed!
Oh, I've SEEN a pic of your place, Morel! Way out of my league for beauty!! Lovely and neat as a pin! That's why you are building me that cute little house, huh? :D
RFLOL! it isn't done yet...and you don't know what kind of builder I am...you might be dissappointed:D

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh Beekissed, your place is so beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had half that green here. We basically have one color here just different shdaes of it, BROWN!:barnie
I don't think your posts are coming out very easily, but they look great. I love old houses like that, they remind me of back home(OK).

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, that pic was done this spring/summer. We are having a dry fall so the grass has a little yellow in it right now. I love the tan shades of the fields in fall and winter....the sheep and the Angus cattle show up so much better and they look like a primitive, or folk, painting.

I hear AZ is a "painted" place with watercolor shades of brown, pinks, golds and purples. Sounds pretty to me, though I don't know if I could stand the heat of living there...no matter how low humidity it may be! :D

The house looked alot more shabby when we moved here and we've tried to spruce it up without spending too much money, as we just rent. So we basically washed down the outside with bleach, painted the trim and dry, brittle, old shutters a soft shade of green, and added the fence to contain the chickens. We retiled the bathroom floor, painted the bathroom and the porch and remodeled the old outbuildings. I was going to do more sprucing, but my "5 year plan" here has changed and I hope to move to Montana in about 2 years, so I'm saving my money.

Thanks for the compliments! I think it has a genteel shabby charm, myself! :) Nothing as grand as other folks' houses but it feels like home now.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well it all depends on what part of Az you are in. Here where we live it is different shades of brown. There is a "painted desert" up north that is a lot like the color's you described. And there are areas that are a lot greener too. We actually had a lot of green lush landscaping in this area in the begining, then the "white man" came & built a dam on the Gila River & everything died basically(they blocked the water to the reservation). Where we have our property up north is very green & gets a lot of rain. Here we only get on average less then 7 inches a year. And most of it is from June to Sept. Although we are due for a wet winter so hopefully this year we will get it. Then my garden will do a lot better next yr along with my trees.
I actually l9ove the old farm houses better than the new ones. When we build up north I want to build a house that looks like an old farm house.

mamakate

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I used the paper carrier's leftover newspapers for blocking weeds. I like it better than landscape fabric. I also used metal chair backs and a lawn mower handle for vine trellises. I don't buy tupperware, just save all plastic containers. The plastic cat food jugs are great for open bags of potting soil. A brass outdoor wall sconce made a cool light( that my cats can't knock over) in my living room. I wall- mounted an oak dresser top as a great shelf for my son's computer. I use the plastic grates from old box fans to protect my window screens from the cats' claws. I never throw out a jar. The uses are endless.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Mamakate

wow...you sure got it covered! great idea with the trellis!

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was told by the friend that gave us the barrel not to use it for anything we would be ingesting, we also live in central CA., unfortunately we get little rain, we get a decent amount of snow. So a rain barrel wouldn't get much use. When we moved here we looked into setting up rain barrels, but in the three yrs. that we have lived here we have probably gotten a total of less than 10" of rain. So we gave up on that idea.

I finally got pics set up of the retaining wall and stairs:

100_0932.jpg

Notice how much of a slope we had.

100_0934.jpg

100_0963.jpg

100_1010.jpg

Notice how now it is flat.

100_1825.jpg

100_1826.jpg