TV..do you have it? Do you watch it?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MuttlyCrew said:
HI all I am new around here.

We have cable for news and KU basketball and for noise. It was also cheaper to bundle the phone cable and internet then to just get the net. But I could easly have it cut off after I found Hulu. Love the old tv stuff you can find on there for free. Off to do the intro thing

Have a great day

Stacy
KU. You must be in Kansas.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Muttley
I am an old movie fan. I love TCM and AMC
great old movies and I love watching the older actors!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
kstaven said:
My thoughts:

Most of what is on TV is mindless drivel intended to distract and direct the masses.

TV is no real help in our lives. I prefer real people and the real world.
We have one tv. Right now we have satellite but that will be the first thing to go to be more frugal. I will be happy with my laptop. Bee-- What about you? I mean what are your thought on it, even if you don't have one. I probably know the answer to that one.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have 2 tv's....one in the living room and bedroom...
and internet..
the one in the living room we pay $10 a month for a cable box...and only have the most basic chanels...which I don't usually whatch basicly only over lunch or, if I have any repetative tasks to do..
I just do at the coffee table...and having the entertainment does help...

But what we mainly whatch is downloads from gravoid..on the internet...
we pay a nominal cost...Not only are we able to whatch most series(that we are interested in) but new movie releases...international series..ect..
an unbelievable amount of entertainment available...

we hook the computor up to the tv via an html cord...so we are whatching on the larger screen...

works 4 us no comercials...and it is great if you get into a series...you can what multi weeks episodes without waiting till next week,,,

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well it seem like we are the odd balls here lol

we do have t.v.s 3 at that, the one in our bedroom is used mainly for am news and weather reports.

We have no sat-or cable,disconnected it this summer to save about 90$ a month,we did invest in a 40$ antenna and get about 7 channels now

But we do love t.v. DH loves re-run sitcom and there are a few evening programs we watch.:pop

Most of the time its on in the evening Iam also doing something else like being on here or looking up answers to all the questions that run through my head all day.

Yes most of it is mindless drivel, but sometimes thats just what I need.:th

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I guess this is one of the few boards where I can say we shut off cable about four years ago and don't even miss it. ... and be considered "normal"!! Two years ago my husband bought a big TV, but that was to use as his computer monitor :lol: which we also watch dvds on. Now he has an Xbox hooked up to it as well ... because "everyone" knows that a shooting-zombies game is essential tactical training for the coming "zombie apocalypse" :gig

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't have reception where we live - we don't want to pay to get cable (it would have to be put in, not just hooked up), and since we live on the north side of a hill DH is convinced that we couldn't use a dish. We've never actually checked into it though. So we have been without since the switch over to digital, and before that we only got a couple of local stations (PBS being one of them, thank goodness! :)) I have to say hat I honestly don't miss it. Occasionally I hear of something on PBS or the history or discovery channel that might have been fun to watch, but, for the most part, I don't have any problem with it not being there. We get netflix movies, and we have just recently upgraded the internet service, and can now get streaming video more reliably ... but that is more his thing than mine. We do watch tv when we stay in a motel ... and the next day invariably say to each other "aren't we glad that we don't have reception?" :lol: --- I do miss my knitting time though; hard to knit and read at the same time.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have one (digital) with a digital antennae. I tune in the news every night just to make sure the world is still there, :D. There are a couple of prime time adult cartoons I like ( The mentalist, NCIS ) but the majority of my viewing is on PBS and the Create channel. Programs Like "This old house", "Nature", "The Victory Garden" "Americas test kitchen" etc I find very informative and helpful. I have absolutely no artistic ability but I sit mesmerized watching Bob Ross paint a georgeous landscape in 30 minutes.
I mute the commercials and refuse to waste time with reality shows.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We haven't had dish for several months now. I am ok with it, I did like to watch the news in the morning. The kids are in total withdrall! Hubby is gone a lot so he only misses it when he is home in the evenings. We have an antana but can't get anything with it since they all went digital. We do have a dvd player hooked up in the livingroom, but I won't let the kids use it till all chores and homework are done.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
and what about you Bee? finding anything that catches your fancy?
I found myself watching a few things like Nat Geowild...but couldn't really stand all the references to just how and when animals supposedly were formed, etc. Ruins the whole credibility for me when I really wanted to just learn something about other lands and animals.

Learning things, to me, is the big draw....I didn't find much on there that wasn't just plain old over-hyped nonsense, flipped past a few things that lowered my IQ in the 1/10 of a second it took to get past it, and in the end, finally convinced Mom that she never watches it, there is nothing on there that is worth watching and that the $60 a month she pays for it could be better utilized in other ways. I believe she is going to pay the penalty and get out of her contract ASAP~will apply the amount to her phone bill instead.

I'm with KStaven on this one....mindless drivel that fuels the masses to buy more things they don't need, to watch other people's senseless lives instead of enriching their own lives and a big, serious, complete SUCK of one's time right down the drain. Never to get it back....so sad.

:) At least...that's MY take on it. Of course, if I were a girly girl I'd watch What Not to Wear, Say Yes to the Dress(but, seriously, how many wedding dresses can one look at without going blind?) and maybe the DIY channel...love the home makeovers.

In the end? My take on TV is that I haven't missed a thing in the past 40 years. Not one darn thing! :lol: