Ugh... Broke and struggling... Ideas anyone?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
In Wisconsin, if someone is obligated to pay child support, his employer is required to deduct the money from that employee's wages and send it to the state.
Yup. And they take it out of unemployment too. And if they don't pay, they get chased down.

*still receiving small amounts of child support*

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, we dug through all of the boys' old stuff and took it to my brother's house since a friend and I were taking craft stuff down there to sell anyways. There was a big fall festival down in the area, so we set up in the family lot and didn't pay lot rent. I made about $300. I sold a good bit of soap (though I only had one batch of soap ready for this sale). The laptop is being paid off on Monday. Got my archery tag and broadheads (I already spent almost $400 on the rest of the stuff earlier in the year, so why let it go to waste?) and the rest will be held onto. I'm going to see if I can get one of those incredibly cheap packs of like 20 assorted colors wash clothes to use as wipes. I figure I'll spend about the same on them as I would a pack of wipes (maybe 2-3 packs) and be able to reuse them. Cloth diapers are still a no-go, but I can at least get away with the washcloth wipies, and that should save me a good bit of money, be less chemicals on the boys' butts and save a ton of garbage. I'll probably still buy a box of the wipies once in a blue moon for travelling and such though, just for convenience.
I've also been putting word around about babysitting and housecleaning. Haven't heard anything from it yet though. :/

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So glad you did so good at your sale, that is a wonderful start! :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good sale! I have a question about the cloth diapers - I understand that your parents won't use them when they are taking care of your boys, but would it be possible for you to use them part of the time? Every little bit helps - and posiibly if your parents see that they aren't that much trouble to use they might change their minds. But even if they don't there should be at least some savings in going part time. Just a thought.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Congrats Betta! Nice job on the sale :)

Keep putting the word out about sitting and cleaning....something will come up.

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
SKR8PN said:
Bettacreek said:
He's the kind of person who'd rather sit in jail than pay child support. :rolleyes:
Then by God I'd do everything in my power to see him sit in jail!! :somad
Contact the local child support office and see to it they do SOMETHING to help you out. At least maybe they could hook you up with a free lawyer to get his arse to court. The judges around here don't take to kindly to worthless bums that refuse to support their children. THAT is one of MY pet peeves! :somad
There isn't anything that I can actually do about it. The child support office here handles all of that. They can court order all kinds of things, but if he doesn't pay, he doesn't pay. If he goes to jail, I still won't get the support. It just sucks. I've been providing everything for the boys since they were born. He never helped watch them, was more worried about buying dvd's and video games than paying bills, and now hasn't paid a lick of support in a year and a half. Hasn't bought a box of diapers, hasn't taken them to any doctor's appointments, nothing. He's had them for about 7 days out of the past year and a half. But, that's a whole 'nother rant that could go on for days, lol.
I don't know if its a legitimate option for you, but a girl I work with had her child support taken out of his income taxes. As long as he has an income coming in he has to file taxes and if the child support office know they could have it taken out of his taxes. You should be able to get back child support plus that month. Just an idea. You may want to call them about it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
So, we dug through all of the boys' old stuff and took it to my brother's house since a friend and I were taking craft stuff down there to sell anyways. There was a big fall festival down in the area, so we set up in the family lot and didn't pay lot rent. I made about $300. I sold a good bit of soap (though I only had one batch of soap ready for this sale). The laptop is being paid off on Monday. Got my archery tag and broadheads (I already spent almost $400 on the rest of the stuff earlier in the year, so why let it go to waste?) and the rest will be held onto. I'm going to see if I can get one of those incredibly cheap packs of like 20 assorted colors wash clothes to use as wipes. I figure I'll spend about the same on them as I would a pack of wipes (maybe 2-3 packs) and be able to reuse them. Cloth diapers are still a no-go, but I can at least get away with the washcloth wipies, and that should save me a good bit of money, be less chemicals on the boys' butts and save a ton of garbage. I'll probably still buy a box of the wipies once in a blue moon for travelling and such though, just for convenience.
I've also been putting word around about babysitting and housecleaning. Haven't heard anything from it yet though. :/
:woot :woot :woot GOOD JOB!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Good job BC! So glad you're paying off your laptop. That's one less thing to worry about making a payment for and you'll save so much in interest!

How is everything else going? What is your budget and $ situation now?

Is there anything I can do to help you? Heck, I'll buy some soap from you. I already ordered a bunch from someone else on SS, but whatever, lol.

PM me what kind of soap you have curing and how much you want for soap + shipping.

:hugs