Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What is cowashing? First thing I thought of was showering with a friend! LOL LOL LOL

It's just cleansing your hair with conditioner only. Keeps really curly, porous hair from drying out and breaking off as badly. They used to call it the no poo method, but then the no poo method was just washing with water only to most people, so I guess they started calling it cowashing.

Some folks will place just a dab of shampoo with that conditioner so that it doesn't strip their hair but still helps in cleaning it better than mere conditioner.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol, no poo sounds bad too, as if some people DO use "poo" to wash their hair??:lol: Be, I just heard of cowashing last week when I asked my niece what she did for her hair. And here I ran out of conditioner and was using shampoo only. No surprise my hair is dry.

@tortoise, I was interested to hear you mention the link between smell and sugar. I've found this to be true too. And for a long time I've used baking soda for my teeth too. I used toothpaste this morning because there's a tube in there I want to use up, but often I put a small amount of baking soda, sometimes with a drop of peroxide, and dip my wet toothbrush in to brush my teeth. I like how clean and fresh my mouth feels after brushing this way.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will mention that the baking soda & peroxide has the benefit of tightening your gums when brushing. Very important. I've done this for over 40 yrs years and rarely have any tarter, damage or blood at gums, even when having dentist cleanings. the hygienist has mentioned this as she normally sees blood on patients. My gums are tight. At 72, that's a true bonus. Have all my own teeth, too.

Most often I wash my hair with my goat soap. It's oils and lye. All natural and my hair is soft, shiny, not dry. No conditioners or other product. Commercial products are full of "stuff".

As to skin -- as you age your body will not manufacture the same components. There ya go -- wrinkles, dry, less oils/moisture, less collagen and so on and on. Think raisin. Plump and lovely, as it sits on the counter it dries and wrinkles. What a lousy thing to happen! :lol: Even keeping in shape -- muscles, which also lessen with age -- doesn't totally work. Helps but -- hygiene isn't your only issue. Just wait :old

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have learned something new! I learned that commercial bar "soap" is often detergent rather than soap. I tried a local homemade soap from someone I know. Does not seem to have any affect on body odor/microbiome, unlike the bar soap DH has been using. I am ordering a whole bunch of custom soap from her. It's faster cleansing and feels luxurious.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have used Dove original for most of my life. I have terrible chemical sensitivities but I can use Dove. Practically ALL soaps give me a reaction. Not to mention house hold cleaners, scented candles, perfumes, anything and everything.

Latest posts