baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have not used deodorant for 25 years. I don't stink either. Once in awhile I get a whiff of pit-fumes, but I wash my pits with Hydrogen peroxide and the stink causing bacteria is gone. I have chemical issues, but I can use Dove soap-original.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I HATE deer flies too. Evil little things!
I was reading up on mosquitoes, and supposedly extra vitamin B1 helps some people to deter mosquito bites, which is interesting because I get all bit up but my husband doesnt. But he take a B complex tablet every day, along with D3, and I dont. Sooo I'll be taking the b complex too to see if it will help.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As far as body odor is concerned, I was reading that it can be caused by overgrowth in the gut of bad bacteria. And can actually temporarily get worse by starting a good probiotic. It can get bad as the body is trying to clean the body of the overgrowth. Continuing with a good probiotic (and of course, clean eating) can help rid a person of bad breath and BO.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
As far as body odor is concerned, I was reading that it can be caused by overgrowth in the gut of bad bacteria. And can actually temporarily get worse by starting a good probiotic. It can get bad as the body is trying to clean the body of the overgrowth. Continuing with a good probiotic (and of course, clean eating) can help rid a person of bad breath and BO.
The particular bacteria we want gets wiped out by sodium laurel sulfate. One wash with that kills 1/3 of the bacteria! Probiotics are one way to reintroduce microbes, but getting dirty (in soil) is pretty effective for skin microbiome too.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The particular bacteria we want gets wiped out by sodium laurel sulfate. One wash with that kills 1/3 of the bacteria! Probiotics are one way to reintroduce microbes, but getting dirty (in soil) is pretty effective for skin microbiome too.

Then my grand daughters ought to be darned healthy. They can't wait to get here and roll in the dirt. They make me dirt cookies, cakes, ice cream, drinks and sandwiches. :drool Delicious. They wallow in dirt, hug the animals and have fun. They beg for a bath in our garden tub and have fun splashing in it. Life is wonderful for a 3 and 1 1/2 year old. :love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Then my grand daughters ought to be darned healthy. They can't wait to get here and roll in the dirt. They make me dirt cookies, cakes, ice cream, drinks and sandwiches. :drool Delicious. They wallow in dirt, hug the animals and have fun. They beg for a bath in our garden tub and have fun splashing in it. Life is wonderful for a 3 and 1 1/2 year old. :love

I agree! Aliza(4 yrs old) and I have a motto that she frequently quotes to her Mom and her Mammy, who always exclaim about how dirty they get out here..."If you ain't gettin' dirty, you ain't havin' fun!".

When she was little, she used to go in the chicken coop barefooted but then her Mom got all concerned about it and put a halt to it. That kid is the healthiest kid in the world...she's never had a cough, throwing up, earache, sore throat or any of the common kid maladies.

Out here it's all about getting close to the dirt and transporting as much as possible to the bathtub.

100_0575.JPG

If you ain't gettin' dirty, you ain't havin' fun!

100_0578.JPG

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My midwife commented that farm kids are the healthiest because they're exposed to animals, dirt, fresh air ... My pediatrician always says she hardly knows my 5 year old because we've never had an appointment outside of her scheduled checkups. Healthy, happy farm kids!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Farm kids being healthier is not anecdotal. It's been proven in research.. There's a current research project underway trying to determine exactly why farm kids are healthier. DS3 was in the study from birth to age 1. They collected dust samples from our house and barn, samples from out floor, breastmilk, water, DNA, cord blood, blood, saliva, skin swabs, nasal swabs, nasal swabs of every respiratory illness, recorded our diet, animals/species on the farm and our exposure to the animals. IT WAS SO COOL! They got an extension on the study because the data sets were looking good so they're still tracking families and it will still be a few years to publication. It seems they are trying to find specific microorganisms related to reduced allergy, asthma, and respiratory disease in children.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bee, your grand daughter is beautiful, but more important, healthy and loved.

Tortoise that is cool that you were in that study. When they finally publish their findings, will you get a copy of it?

Latest posts