Unexpected Windfall!!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm rich! :lol: I won a weight-loss challenge competition at work. We had 1 month to see who lost the most body percentage, and I won....lost a whopping 3.75 lbs by doing not much different. Go me! :p

So, I won $40! I'm not sure what I should do with the money though. I'd like to purchase several things, and they all could help me out a lot around here.

1. Fencing-I've been saving up to buy some electronetting fence to graze the sheep around the yard. Currently I'm borrowing a coworker's fence but I was planning on buying a roll this coming payday. It's about $90 per roll.

2. An egg turner. I've wanted one for a while, but could never justify spending $30-40 on something when I can turn them myself (but it's a pain) for free.

3. Soap supplies. I've been wanting to buy supplies so I can finally start making goat milk soap. I'm doing a craft show on June 18th and had planned on just using whatever I made for that to purchase supplies, but I could put this $40 into that pool.

So, what do you think? Help me make a decision!! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Oooh tough decision!!

But, I'd go for the fencing. That way, you have your own and you can return what you borrowed. :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats :)

Which purchase pulls at you the most?

Since it's a total windfall, I'd be inclined to go with whatever you would be least likely to spend it on--the most frivolous purchase in your opinion (which sounds like the egg-turner?).

Me, I don't have the other things to deal with so I'd personally go for the soap-making supplies :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd spend the money on something that could make more money. The egg turner or the soap making supplies....probably the soap. Since you can borrow the fence for now, you can make and sell soap to earn money to buy fencing.....and you'll have supplies to make more soap to make more money!

I have to go pick up my lye order at Ace today....made the money for it by selling goat's milk soap!

(Check with us about what to buy...you don't need much at first. Remember, a book that contained a few simple recipes would not be a book, but would be a pamphlet and wouldn't sell well for as much profit. So the books can make it more complicated than it needs to be. I make soap with what is available to me with very few purchased "exotic" items....lye is the biggie.)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Quail, that woudl be the responsible thing to do! But I have $30 saved up from egg/etc sales so that can go towards paying for the fence out of our own money. Hmm.

moolie, definitely the egg turner would be more frivolous. And since I have lots of eggs in the bator that would be pulling at me at hte most right now. :lol:

Marianne, :lol: I don't know if everyone would appreciate that!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
You've got some good points, Free! I definitely want to spend it on something that will make me money. If I can get a good hatch from using the turner, it could pay for itself with one hatch!

I'm leaning towards waiting for craft show proceeds (counting my eggs before they hatch!) to pay for soap, since I really wasn't expecting to have soap ready for sale before Thanksgiving/Christmas time anyways.

But how far would $40 give me in supplies?

BeckyM

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yay!!! Way to go, sister!! :D I'd say, go with the thing that would make you the most excited. Forget about the most responsible thing for right now... you always go with that option usually. Go with the thing that you would dance a jig about when the package arrives in the mail. :D