Unexpected Windfall!!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Oh, and that's a good idea to build my own turner, but I'm afraid there wouldn't be enough head space in teh bator to rotate the tray very far. I'd imagine in my LG incubator if I did that, the middle eggs wouldn't rotate much. :/

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I'd probably buy a box of Twinkies and take them to work to share.

:lol:

Congrats!
I was thinking chocolate for all the folks on the diet you beat! :gig

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Oh, and that's a good idea to build my own turner, but I'm afraid there wouldn't be enough head space in teh bator to rotate the tray very far. I'd imagine in my LG incubator if I did that, the middle eggs wouldn't rotate much. :/
A tilt of about 45 degrees is all you need. Keep the eggs away from the middle so you don't have a net change of zero degrees.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Not sure if I'm qualified to answer considering I didn't go to "U of" anything :p but I can answer that question. I had a couple with crooked/curled toes in the beginning. I made them little prosthetics :lol: Cardboard triangles superglued to their little feet. By the time the superglue wears off and the cardboard falls off(about 4 days) they were perfectly normal little toes. The first day or 2 I had to make sure they could get to food/water with their little "chicken shoes" on, but after that, they made it just fine.
Sounds like it'd work, but have you ever super glued your fingers or wherever it spills on your legs, etc? It burns. A lot. I couldn't/wouldn't do that to some little bird.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Wannabefree said:
Not sure if I'm qualified to answer considering I didn't go to "U of" anything :p but I can answer that question. I had a couple with crooked/curled toes in the beginning. I made them little prosthetics :lol: Cardboard triangles superglued to their little feet. By the time the superglue wears off and the cardboard falls off(about 4 days) they were perfectly normal little toes. The first day or 2 I had to make sure they could get to food/water with their little "chicken shoes" on, but after that, they made it just fine.
Sounds like it'd work, but have you ever super glued your fingers or wherever it spills on your legs, etc? It burns. A lot. I couldn't/wouldn't do that to some little bird.
You must have a sensitivity to it. I have never experienced a burn, and actually super glues original intention was for liquid sutures. :hu

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There must be a difference in the glues. I've had the surgical stuff, no problem. The stuff around the house, holy mama, never want a close encounter with that stuff again. DH agrees with me after spilling some on his jeans.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I bought my egg turner last night! :D I haven't been able to use it yet because I have too many eggs in my bator (the turner only holds 41). I'm waiting to hear back from a few people on wether or not they want the "extras". The eggs are on day 8 and I can't stand to waste them by just tossing them, and I don't have a broody at the moment!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I bought my egg turner last night! :D I haven't been able to use it yet because I have too many eggs in my bator (the turner only holds 41). I'm waiting to hear back from a few people on wether or not they want the "extras". The eggs are on day 8 and I can't stand to waste them by just tossing them, and I don't have a broody at the moment!
You can "stack" them temporarily. I have done it. Put the 41 in, and toward the center of the bator, just put the extras on top of the other eggs. They'll even hatch that way. You want them towrd the center though because of the positioning of the heating element in the top of the bator. Don't want them getting too hot.

CONGRATS on the turner!! :woot Happy hatching!! :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Marianne said:
There must be a difference in the glues. I've had the surgical stuff, no problem. The stuff around the house, holy mama, never want a close encounter with that stuff again. DH agrees with me after spilling some on his jeans.
Hm...must be a difference. I have never had any that burns, or I would have definately NEVER put it on an animal...much less a BABY animal!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
aggieterpkatie said:
You can "stack" them temporarily. I have done it. Put the 41 in, and toward the center of the bator, just put the extras on top of the other eggs. They'll even hatch that way. You want them towrd the center though because of the positioning of the heating element in the top of the bator. Don't want them getting too hot.

CONGRATS on the turner!! :woot Happy hatching!! :D
Thanks, I'll try this!!! :D