Unexpected Windfall!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm kinda w/Marianne on this one, but I'd suggest Ho Hos. :hide

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'd go for the egg turner. I remember what it was like to be without one. You'll LOVE yourself for it later, TRUST me! And yes, it should increase your hatches therefore making you more money, and you could start seeing the profit in as little as 3-4 weeks. PLUS, no work involved with that one, rather it is a help. With the soap supplies it would be more work. You can borrow the fence for now, while you save up, so I wouldn't be too eager to fix something that "aint broke" when you could do one better and buy yourself a bit more of free time by getting the turner and when you DO get soap supplies on the schedule you planned, you won't be wasting time turning eggs when you could be making soap. There...makes sense to me :lol: Honestly, it's what I would do. You can also make a few bars of soap later for the dear friend who loaned you the fence when you return it, return it with a gift of appreciation :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Ok, the egg turner it is!! I should be able to get it this weekend. :D

Wannabe, I'm giving the fence owner goat milk so it works out! :p

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm the opposite of Wannabefree. I didn't like the 2 different egg turners I had in my LG and Hovabator. I felt that my hatches were not as good with the turners and regulating the humidity was harder. I sold both that I had.

I now have a Dickey cabinet incubator. It does have a turner, but the angle of turning seems a lot farther than the ones in the foam incubators seemed to accomplish.

I really won't do my waterfowl any other way than hand turning. I use my Hovabator for incubating waterfowl and my LG as a hatcher.

But do spend your unexpected money on something you really want -- even if it is a turner. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Ok, the egg turner it is!! I should be able to get it this weekend. :D

Wannabe, I'm giving the fence owner goat milk so it works out! :p
Oh wow, they're definately gettin the better deal then.

Becca, my first hatch WAS worse with the turner actually. It does help if you remember to keep the water level correct. :lol: Careful of that. Not having to turn the eggs daily did make it easier to completely forget the bator. I do have much better hatches now though.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Well hopefully I'll have better results with the turner. :/ If it doesn't work out then maybe I can sell the turner on CL. It's worth a shot to me! :)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
considering the potential for use and survival I'd say the egg turner is a great choice but then you could also build one really easy for a lot less money. My friend built his incubator out of a box lined with styrofoam. He built a tray to hold egg cartons and put that tray on an axel so all he has to do is pull up on the handle and the eggs tilt the other way or push down on the handle and they tilt back the OTHER direction. Sorry I can't draw on here.

Returning what you borrowed is a significantly good idea. no need to add to that.

But since you are a UMd aggie grad and I'm a UMBC grad I thought I'd ask a question. In my very first attempt at hatching, I had a couple of "mixed breed" birds with curled toes. (actually two of them) and one with a bum leg. They all have grown and survived thus far (born 1 APRIL) but my question is can the curled toes be "treated"/repaired or is that "just the way it is" and be done with it?

Enquiring minds want to know...(me for instance)
Thanks
//BT//
Trim sends

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm qualified to answer considering I didn't go to "U of" anything :p but I can answer that question. I had a couple with crooked/curled toes in the beginning. I made them little prosthetics :lol: Cardboard triangles superglued to their little feet. By the time the superglue wears off and the cardboard falls off(about 4 days) they were perfectly normal little toes. The first day or 2 I had to make sure they could get to food/water with their little "chicken shoes" on, but after that, they made it just fine.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Yay for U of MD grads, even if it is UMBC (my brother goes there). :p

I think Wannabefree had an excellent solution! I've also used band-aids to keep their toes straight (cut each sticky side off and put one on top of foot and one on bottom, making sure toes are straight), but the cardboard sounds like a great idea too!