Unheated Greenhouses

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I can try #1! I have 7" domes to fit on 1020 trays. I would just like to grow lettuce or microgreens for most of winter. I was able to keep plants alive into December but they werent actively growing.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm in zone 4. Do you think I could grow zone 5 perennials in pots if I put the pots in my greenhouse in winter?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want my greenhouse on the deck right against my patio door. DH says no because the gaps between the deck boards. (Isn't that why God gave us green treated plywood?!)
I insulated under the greenhouse and covered that with cheap flooring plywood. For the floor of the greenhouse, I put the same stuff over the deck 2"x4"s covering the gaps. I put a wood grain linoleum over top of the flooring plywood. No gaps to be seen now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Overcast day, 64 degrees F outside.

Inside the dome, its 81 degrees.

I will have to watch carefully on sunny days. Seedlings cant handle temps over 90 degrees.
Same temperature and overcast skies today, but with 22 mph wind.

Greenhouse temp is 72 degrees.

Looks like wind is a problem for my greenhouse's ability to retain heat. 🤔

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a thought... What about a milkhouse heater? I was able to raise ccx through the dead of winter in a 8x16 uninsulated plywood room with a milkhouse heater and two hanging chicken lights. The room never dropped below 50 degrees even during that cold snap in single digits overnight.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Is there a fire hazard with the milkhouse heaters?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yes, most plants do not actually Grow during the darkest months- they go into a kind of suspended state, but you can still harvest them. Also, I seem to recall that Elliot Coleman said that if the plants (greens) actually appear frozen, don't touch them. Often when they thaw, the plant is still ok, and you can even harvest those leaves to eat- just NOT while they are frozen.
I believe that's the author of the book I'm reading, but I either missed that comment or haven't gotten to it yet.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I forgot to cover greenhouse domes until hours after dark - 9:30 p.m. greenhouse temp was 41.

This morning its 43. Its gaining a couple degrees from the ground/patio block. Good to know. 👍
I had to go to town this morning while it was still below freezing. I didn't get home until noon. The sun had come out and the greenhouse was 106°F.