up here in lalaland ~ Tennessee here we come!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yeah a hefty shot....you know, just short of a glug. :lol:

I am precise huh? I am sure you could google up a few recipes and modify as you see fit :)

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
short of a glug, that is precise!

I've googled, just haven't liked the results - not tasty enough. Will try this and see how it goes... I am hankering for a pulled pork like the one I had at a roadside stand some time ago traveling in kentucky.

am heading to tennesse in march...might hit some bbq there. up here in the north it is pretty pitiful stuff

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My husband makes great pulled pork using a beer and if he needs more fluid, stock. We season it at the end because we usually make two meals out of it, one bar B Q and one mexican, so we don't want it seasoned ahead.

So how do you make the awesome chicken gravy? What was the secret you learned. My gravy isn't great.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't grow up with gravy, so it has always been a mystery to me.

So, this might be obvious to most everyone but me!

take the drippings from the baked chicken (this assumes you bake whole chickens or chicken parts with the skins on, NOT chicken breasts) and put them in a frying pan. Add a little chicken bullion , add enough water to double the drippings, take a coffee cup and fill it a third or so with flour, add water to the cup and stir.

Turn up the heat on the stove, salt, peper, and pour in the water/flour mix, whisk away, and presto, yummy!

I am pretty picky about bullion, and use a kind in the jar with ingredients that I recognize -

so, beer? hmm. I'll add that to my list of things to try. I might be having pulled pork weekly til I get it right !

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so in the last week of April, we're going to the Great Smokey Mountains to stay in a cabin for a few days by Pigeon Forge and Gaitlinburg.

Anyone familiar with this area? Recommendations? After our three day stay at the cabin, we're looking for some less touristy, cheaper options.

We will have a car and about 5 days to play - hope to spend less than $80 bucks a night. Like flea markets, wildflowers, birdwatching, vintage junk......we will be hiking in the national park ...but then?

If you have ideas or suggestions, would love to hear them!
Thanks!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't have any recommendations but I have friends who really enjoyed a vacation in that area....have fun! Isn't it fun to plan a trip?