up here in lalaland ~ Tennessee here we come!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
phew! it warmed up, it is now just 4 below and in the next few days we will get close to 16 above zero!

Yeah, Blackbird, I remember that cold all too well!

driving to the cities this morning was a trip! if you haven't seen the videos on the web of the metrodome deflating, it is worth a look. They got more snow than I did, about a foot more and there were cars abandoned here and there and pretty much up to their roofs in snow from the plows and wind.

most fun was watching the semi trucks with a couple of feet of snow on their roofs go under the overpasses and having the snow scaped from the top of the semi to come crashing down on the pavement - we're talking small sedan sized blocks of snow.

yup, wifezilla, sounds like I am doing what you did when you were in the north.

still want a seat warmer for the car!

I don't know, a warm winter sounds good but y'all sound just as cold as I am at much warmer temps - so I figure if I moved south, when it got all the way down to 25 degrees above zero, I'ld think I was freezing, too! So may as well stay north and get the snow and the bragging rights that go with it :)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lalaland said:
phew! it warmed up, it is now just 4 below and in the next few days we will get close to 16 above zero!........
I don't know, a warm winter sounds good but y'all sound just as cold as I am at much warmer temps - so I figure if I moved south, when it got all the way down to 25 degrees above zero, I'ld think I was freezing, too! So may as well stay north and get the snow and the bragging rights that go with it :)
Yes, there is a certain amount of shame and humiliation when in complaining about 20* windchill when that is a heatwave for others.

But I have no pride. :p ;)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*bounces* It was 70 today!

*ducks*

Really, we normally don't have quite this much warmth, but we always get a heat wave before Christmas. Every year is the tense "will we have snow for christmas???" in Colorado and it's maybe 50/50. In February the city is shut down most of the month in blizzards, though.

I got pneumonia the year I walked to work every day at 10 below here. :) I do not recommend it. Actually I blame the gym. Don't work out and THEN walk home in that much cold >.>

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys can stand to work outside in that kind of cold.

I can't say enough about the goodness of car seat warmers. They are the best invention they ever came up with for cars.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll be going to the hay auction today. It's not getting above freezing, and the wind will be blowing. I washed my Carhartt jacket yesterday, but couldn't find my overalls :( , so I'll be wearing ski pants instead. I also found my face mask hat and some warmer (I hope) gloves. I doubt KN will be going. She doesn't have the warm clothing that I have.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
abifae said:
*bounces* It was 70 today!

*ducks*

Really, we normally don't have quite this much warmth, but we always get a heat wave before Christmas. Every year is the tense "will we have snow for Christmas???" in Colorado and it's maybe 50/50. In February the city is shut down most of the month in blizzards, though.

I got pneumonia the year I walked to work every day at 10 below here. :) I do not recommend it. Actually I blame the gym. Don't work out and THEN walk home in that much cold >.>
We had that heat yesterday and the day before. Rain is coming. By the time it makes it over the mountains you should have a white Christmas.

la la stay warm!!!

g

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hey, abifae, you don't have to duck anymore, cuz......its 5 above zero!! nice and warm, and the moon and stars are out, the snow is all sparkly and I don't need a flashlight to make it out to the coop.

its beautiful!

denimdeb, had to laugh because I have been wearing my carhart (all old, and frayed at the sleeves) to work because it is my warmest coat and with a 2 hour commute in this weather I didn't want to wear a prettier but lighter weight coat - got to work and what did I have down the front of the jacket?

chickensh*t -

when will I learn to leave enough time to go do chores, and come in and change into work clothes?

geesh.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
am so excited, I still get excited about this time of the year.

eva cassidy is on the stereo, the sun is just coming up, snoring cat next to me, birds at the feeder, coffee at hand, what could be better?

after chores, am going with my sweetie to Duluth for a little holiday day. Stop at the fabulous co-op there, get REAL bread, and walk a bit on the shore of Lake Superior.

there is a funny little gift shop in an old house, and I love that house. very old fashioned layout, with a small walk through pantry between the kitchen and the dining room, and a big window seat on the stair landing halfway between the first floor and upstairs, and upstairs the stairway opens into a little foyer, 4 sweet bedrooms with sloped ceilings, and you can see the lake from the front bedrooms.

oh, I could see living in that house.

I want to pick up some small treats for the important people in my life.

we'll have a good meal somewhere, oh happy day as up here your choices are pretty much bar hamburger type food.

Enjoy the day everyone!