Upcycled/repurposed projects (MANY)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
It might be just me but I gave up on that first post. Read 3 lines and click on <read more> gets old in a hurry for me. Just one opinion.
I almost always make a practice of scrolling down a page. :) There's nothing interesting to me in the first few sentences on that page... but those sentences are not why I posted the link for the site. ;)

Not sure what your perimeter of interests encompasses, ~gd, but I do feel there is interesting and useful stuff on the site.

Did you check out the second link I gave?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is a water containment cabinet I built for my wife. She's a sculptor who works in glass and bronze. And since these can generate a lot of unhealthy dust, she works with water-cooled tools that dampen the dust, making a slurry and keeping the dust out of the air. Some of the processes utilize smallish power tools, and this containment contraption - fundamental to which is a sort of basin - acts as a sink for the slurry and then routes the liquid into a drain system we built in her studio.

4407_shower_surround_water_cabinet.jpg

I built the basin and back-splash by cutting down a prefabbed fiberglass shower surround. Got it for half price from a plumbing-supply dealer. It had been damaged during shipping, though the damage was superficial and wasn't going to be a problem for our purpose. I cut it down by a bit more than one third it's original height.

This is a closer view of the portion of the shower surround that I retained as a sink/backsplash...

4407_shower_surround_close-up.jpg

I put the portion of the shower surround that normally gets sealed down to a bathroom floor up onto a five-legged wooden framework made of 2x4's and 2x6's, using lag screws as fasteners. I determined the height of the framework when we decided what height the basin should be. That height has to allow for sitting and working, comfortably, for hours at a time. We used an old shower curtain to enable enclosure, if desired, while working at the cabinet.

Jeremy_31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Joel_BC - That's really considerate of you to build that for your wife. It's really quite clever!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Jeremy_31 said:
Joel_BC - That's really considerate of you to build that for your wife. It's really quite clever!
Thanks. Well, I'm a guy who is inclined toward cooperation. And if a guy can't do things for his wife, what sort of husband is he? :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great idea for the wet cabinet, Joel!

I want one of those Bonsai trees! Those are awesome!

Jeremy_31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Jeremy_31 said:
Thanks. Well, I'm a guy who is inclined toward cooperation. And if a guy can't do things for his wife, what sort of husband is he? :lol:
Divorced? :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Jeremy_31 said:
Joel_BC said:
Jeremy_31 said:
Divorced? :lol:
:lol:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This guy built a couple of quiet compressor units using old refrigeration compressors and a pressure tank and a few other parts. Says he spent only 65-70 Euros on it (that's $94 U.S., tops)! Pretty cool.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php...le=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=128644&page=1

I found the site by searching for pages about re-using old fridge compressors. I don't yet know much about the site it's on... possibly has other projects on repurposing, possibly not.

4407_p1000459eh0.jpg

My own compressor, while extremely useful, is anything but quiet when running. :tongue (Ear protectors, bigtime.)

Jeremy_31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The engineer did a really good job. If I didn't know that it was two different compressors combined into one then I never would have guessed! That's pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing it Joel!