Upcycled/repurposed projects (MANY)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This man made a backyard metal-casting furnace. It uses waste oil as fuel. Home casting of aluminum is fairly common, casting bronze is far less so. This guy can cast iron or steel in his backyard set-up - and that’s quite rare.

oilburners07_foundryunit.JPG

He’s built his casting-furnace set-up with modified existing components, some readily available stock parts, and some parts he’s made from scratch. To see the rig and his explanation of it, proceed through the five successive pages.
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners01.html

Hats off to this guy!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is a super idea, painting the tool handles a bright color to stand out. We spend so much time looking for tools the Wildbunch as took outside and never brought in. Of course complaint is answered "Not me. Not me."

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There's only one improvement I'd make on it to adapt it to MY place here...a bright orange piece of duct tape or even a bright orange coat of paint to the handle so I wouldn't lose it when I sat it down here and there. Brown hand tools have a way of getting lost around these parts, so I've taken to banding them all with fluorescent orange or pink duct tape so I can spot them more easily.

Wouldn't go amiss to glue or weld a magnet on one side too, so you can afix it to your tractor, work station, etc., as well.
Hi Beekissed. Those are good suggestions. LOL I lose things too.:barnie

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC posted "Okay, here's another clever repurposing how-to. This guy used imagination plus two truck wheel rims and not much else to make a stove for barbecuing, cooking a stew, and such."
View attachment 1063

More pictures and discussion here: http://ideas2live4.com/2015/09/10/bbq-firepit/

I know a fellow who makes these. They really are cool and I wish I had the $$$ to buy one and help him out because he said they aren't really moving. A sweet young husband and father that does nothing but work all the time. He has a garage that he works in when he isn't at work. Always tinkering. It's nice to see someone who doesn't spend all his time gaming or on the phone texting.

Last edited:

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Moon it's funny you mention car buffs because he's always going to car shows. He has an old car he shows. Next time I see him I'll mention your ideas. He really has a great product and I wish he could make it work for him.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today I'm repurposing pallets and reclaimed lumber into a dog bench for Ben's tie out area...something for him to get on top of or underneath, depending on his mood at the time. Come winter I'll put a temporary bottom on it and pack it full of hay for a winter snuggle place for the dogs, if they so desire.

I'll also be utilizing some silver lined bubble wrap for underneath the roofing materials on the bench, so as to add more insulation there...that will help with summer and winter. This bench will be in the shade anyway, so it won't be too hot there but dogs still seem to love to crawl underneath things to stay cool.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It might be just me but I gave up on that first post. Read 3 lines and click on <read more> gets old in a hurry for me. Just one opinion.