Upcycling

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Apparently Upcycling is different from Recycling.
"Upcycling is taking waste and making into something that has equal or greater use or value", differing from recycle which, for instance, would take plastic products and make lesser quality plastic from it.
http://www.naturallysavvy.com/naturally-green-faq/what-is-upcycling

So with this new definition, what do you primarily do with your waste?
Upcycle or recycle?

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Thanks Sylvie, this link really made me stop and think. I do upcycle clothes for cleaning rags, making pillows,etc. Have made wash cloths from a bath towel that was to be trashed.
I love the rubber mud boot idea. I could do more Upcycling if I use my imagination....;)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
When I shred newspapers to add to compost, I'm making something nearly as valuable as gold to me. I suppose it is relative to the value perceived.
I haven't made any but the pots and jewelry made from colorful glossy discarded magazines are gorgeous.
I saw a special where a group of young people scavenged oreo cookie wrappers and juice boxes from a dump. The washed them at a coin laundry and made beautiful, functioning kites. Walmart ordered thousands from them

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I upcycle most things. Some things I just use for their intended purpose after I've repaired or rejuvenated them.

boggybranch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I take a 50 cent newspaper and turn it into $4's worth of seed pots using "The Potmaker".....no more wasting money on 'peat pots'....and a little less waste for the landfill.

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I do a lot of upcycling with clothing. I love to sew (but don't know how to make much), so I make new hammocks and blankies for my pet rats and friend's pets, and also to donate to animal shelters where the fuzzies often have nothing to sleep on but concrete or steel in their cages.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't know rats slept on hammocks. I guess you learn something every day. :D

I like to think that most of the treasure I save is upcycled. Not just reusing but turning it into something I really wanted or needed. Way more valuable then just putting in the recycle bin.

gina

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm turning 60 used wooden pallets that I had delivered to the house into 4 chicken coops (3 of which I will sell), a run for the chickens and a fence around the garden :)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Ibicella said:
I do a lot of upcycling with clothing. I love to sew (but don't know how to make much), so I make new hammocks and blankies for my pet rats and friend's pets, and also to donate to animal shelters where the fuzzies often have nothing to sleep on but concrete or steel in their cages.
You can make rag quilts, they're pretty easy and fast to make, just making squares sandwiched together and then at the end sew the squares in long lines together, then sew the long lines into a quilt..
You should look it up online to get a better picture of how to do it! :D

I've been saving kids clothing, the denim is all going into a rag quilt for my son (when I get back to that) and I've saved all my daughters pretty dresses and shirts, and will make one for her out of those. For both I will add another fabric, the denim is getting matched up with a Moda fabric of leaves and different browns and orangy colors...
I'll probably match up my daughters stuff to a flannel or fleece fabric.