Upcycling

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
hwillm1977 said:
I'm turning 60 used wooden pallets that I had delivered to the house into 4 chicken coops (3 of which I will sell), a run for the chickens and a fence around the garden :)
Oh wow, can you post some pictures. I have a ton of pallets right now and I would love some ideas.

thanks, gina
Here's some inspiration from a furniture store in Maine that sells stuff made from recycled pallets... this stuff is gorgeous (to me at least):

http://goodearthfurniture.com/

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
TanksHill said:
hwillm1977 said:
I'm turning 60 used wooden pallets that I had delivered to the house into 4 chicken coops (3 of which I will sell), a run for the chickens and a fence around the garden :)
Oh wow, can you post some pictures. I have a ton of pallets right now and I would love some ideas.

thanks, gina
Here's some inspiration from a furniture store in Maine that sells stuff made from recycled pallets... this stuff is gorgeous (to me at least):

http://goodearthfurniture.com/
:ep wow, I need pallets! :gig

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hwillm... That furniture is beautiful. I keep walking past my pallets wishing I could get started. We are out of town next weekend. Which means probably the weekend after. Ugggg...

I think I will start with the compost bin. I will need it asap for garden stuff. The coop is still in the planning stages. We dismantled the old play yard /swing set yesterday. Believe it or now I now have 8 --6 foot, 4 x 4 shaped things. I think they may be pressed wood covered in plastic. But they will be in the new coop plan as well.

I can't wait.

gina

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I took the little glass bulbs out of a couple of sets of non working Christmas tree lights and used the wire part as fencing. It works great! I had some posts surrounding the garden that have hook thingys in them, and the light strings are just the right size to slip right in the hooks.

Now I'm trying to think of something clever to do with the colorful glass bulbs. Maybe glue them on a picture frame? or put them in a container & shine a light through them? They're actually kinda pretty when you take them out of the green plastic holder that plugs them into the light string..

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Chipmunk that Christmas light fencing sounds interesting. What are you trying to keep out with it?

gina

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My 3 dogs. They like the warmth of the leaves and compost I have in there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aly made an adorable chicken coop out of pallets and posted a pic on here once.....OH, Aaaaaaaalyyyyyyyyyy! Where is that pic you once posted.....it was so very cute! :)

I once had bedside stands, coffee tables, end tables made all out of pallets before. There was this old fella that would custom design furniture out of pallets and they were very sturdy and beautiful.

Right now I'm eyeing some really nice wood at a local construction site....waiting to see what they will be doing with these very nicely constructed frames that are holding their new galvanized roofing. :pop

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have a small coop made out of pallets and the ugly shelving that was once in the house. I used three pallets all together.

I will post a pic in a bit. It is tiny, but perfect for my 6 hens and 1 roo.

I made a ladder for them using some old nails that were too long so I poked wine corks over each stuck out nail point so no one would get hurt. Wine corks are perfect for covering up sharp nails that poke out on the other side of the wood. (I save all wine corks)

I love that pallet furniture! I had a pallet coffee table that a boyfriend made me in college...lost it (or rather gave it away) in one of my many moves.

My garden fence is made up of 3 different scraps of wire fence.

My hens lay their eggs in an old trough that is too high for my sheep and too flimsy for the horses. I have a crude roof made with(again) two pallets holding up a sheet of plywood. It was nice and airy in the summer and now covered with a classy :rolleyes: green tarp makes a quiet, private space for my young (shy) egg layers.