Upcycling

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
I'm turning 60 used wooden pallets that I had delivered to the house into 4 chicken coops (3 of which I will sell), a run for the chickens and a fence around the garden :)
Oh wow, can you post some pictures. I have a ton of pallets right now and I would love some ideas.

thanks, gina

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
hwillm1977 said:
I'm turning 60 used wooden pallets that I had delivered to the house into 4 chicken coops (3 of which I will sell), a run for the chickens and a fence around the garden :)
Oh wow, can you post some pictures. I have a ton of pallets right now and I would love some ideas.

thanks, gina
Sure :)

I'll start working on it next weekend and post a step by step once I manage to get it done... my boyfriend doesn't think it will work, but if it doesn't we'll have a big pile of firewood.... lol

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I suppose it is relative to the value perceived.
I think for most of us upcycling items to our preceived value is
a normal everyday thing. Marketing most of the stuff that is invaluable to us would not be marketable as a money making thing.

We are an innovative group. I can not image anyone buying a piece of old refridgerator coil turned into a pull handle for a chicken house door.

But then again, maybe if I spend a little more time making it look pretty, add a little paint - who knows.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
We are an innovative group. I can not image anyone buying a piece of old refridgerator coil turned into a pull handle for a chicken house door.

But then again, maybe if I spend a little more time making it look pretty, add a little paint - who knows.
I fully intend to try and sell a recycled pallet wood chicken coop :)

I'll paint it and make it look nice, but I'm hoping to pay for the chickens and their coop by making an extra one and selling it. More and more people all the time are trying to become a little more self sufficient, so you never know what someone might buy... I could use a chicken house pull handle for my pallet coops :)

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I didn't know rats slept on hammocks. I guess you learn something every day. :D
Oh yes. I can almost never get my lazy bunch out of theirs!

1475_p1020333sm.jpg

This is Iggy (laying down with his feet up) and his brother Nonny (now deceased) showing off their hammy. The hammock was made out of my brother's old red fleece bathrobe, and the pink blanket was a friend's old fleece nightgown once, now about the size of a baby blanket. The sleeves of both were turned into "tube hammocks" that the ratties can sleep in. I also donate the sleeve tube-hammocks to ferret and small animal shelters.

Wildsky said:
You can make rag quilts, they're pretty easy and fast to make, just making squares sandwiched together and then at the end sew the squares in long lines together, then sew the long lines into a quilt..
You should look it up online to get a better picture of how to do it! :D
That's pretty much what they are. They normally aren't very pretty, but they are functional! The puppies in shelters don't care if they are pretty, just so long as it's soft. :)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I built a compost bin out of old pallets. Its working fine so far, even tho its only 5 months along.

I love rats. They are the best pets!

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Ibicella said:
I do a lot of upcycling with clothing. I love to sew (but don't know how to make much), so I make new hammocks and blankies for my pet rats and friend's pets, and also to donate to animal shelters where the fuzzies often have nothing to sleep on but concrete or steel in their cages.
You can make rag quilts, they're pretty easy and fast to make, just making squares sandwiched together and then at the end sew the squares in long lines together, then sew the long lines into a quilt..
You should look it up online to get a better picture of how to do it! :D

I've been saving kids clothing, the denim is all going into a rag quilt for my son (when I get back to that) and I've saved all my daughters pretty dresses and shirts, and will make one for her out of those. For both I will add another fabric, the denim is getting matched up with a Moda fabric of leaves and different browns and orangy colors...
I'll probably match up my daughters stuff to a flannel or fleece fabric.
I love saving clothes to use for quilts and sewing projects. I am working on several denim quilts right now.:)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
abifae said:
I have a friend who got divorced and upcycled all her ex's nice suits into woven throw rugs. :lol:
Did she remove the suit from him first? :lol: