**UPDATE** dead chickens... EATEN!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so, i did it. well, sort of.

for the life of me i just could not figure out where i was supposed to be cutting. all the videos said "the area below the ear where there are no feathers" so i tried to find that spot and just couldn't figure it out. i also wasn't cutting with enough pressure or deep enough. so, naturally, on the first one, i ripped it's neck open and still managed to miss the artery. then i panicked a little and made my Dad finish that one because i didn't want to make it linger while i figured out what i was doing wrong.

it just looked so easy in the videos. of course, they've probably been at it for years and processed thousands. i just couldn't make a clean cut. it was disheartening. NOT being able to kill them actually turned out to be worse than anything i'd anticipated. i felt defeated because i couldn't do it and bad because my ineptitude made their deaths longer. Of the 4, I managed to severe 1 artery.

my Dad was a total champ though. he's the big tough guy hunter/farmer, and i felt sure that he would be disappointed if i wimped out. i think the fact that i was willing to make the first cut went a long way to impressing him. he didn't complain at all about having to take over and he didn't tease me (one of his favorite pastimes).

after that, my Mom helped me pluck. i was amazed. she really went to town. the three of us stood around ripping feathers out of birds and talking about my great-grandmother. it was great-grandmother who taught my dad how to kill chickens when he was young. after my parents were married she taught my mom to pluck (my mom refused to do the actual killing- still does). and it was my great-grandmother who always took me out to collect eggs- one of the memories that made me want to get my own chickens. that was a good moment.

after that, we brought them inside to gut. disappointment #2: my hands were TOO BIG to fit inside the chickens... i have wide, thick hands and they just would not fit in the chest cavities. so Mom had to step up to the plate and save me again. it was absolute hilarity! chickens make awfully strange squelching and burping noises while you eviscerate, which i didn't anticipate. i cut through 2 oil sacks while trying to cut them out, but hopefully i haven't ruined the meat. there's the small chance that some lungs might still be inside a chicken or two, but what harm can a lung do?

the first one we processed was the BIG mean Orpington cockerel who's been terrorizing the other chickens and myself. he had HUGE testes! HUGE! easily 4x the size of the others. at first i thought "was i completely wrong and just processed a hen? is that a small egg?" but no, it was a giant testicle. i guess that explains why he was so aggressive. he was also very very fatty. he was the biggest bird i had, but i didn't expect that kind of fat. i would have been able to gut him if he hadn't been so fatty.

the others were 2 Wyandottes who turned out to be fairly small (haven't weighed them yet) and a Brahma that was decent. he was lean like the Wyandottes, but much larger. he was the only one i managed to get my hand in, and then only after accidentally tearing a leg loose.

so, far from my vision of myself as the mighty huntress, but all-in-all a good experience. mostly i just feel that, even though i couldn't do the deed, i stuck to my guns and didn't run crying from the scene of the crime. my birds have lived good lives and had (mostly) good deaths and will now feed my friends and family. so, i would consider that a success.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great Job, Leah! The fact that you tried says alot. Don't give up, you will get better with practice. It's not one of the "fun" tasks, but it is one of the most important responsibilities when we raise animals for food. My hat is off to you!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks vail! i'm sure it will get easier. i think i need the right knife. i was using my dad's hunting knife, which was super effective for him but maybe too big for me. i was afraid of slicing straight through the chicken neck and into my own hand.

i've got 2 more to go next weekend (i'm having a hard time deciding on which EE roo to keep), so hopefully i'll be better prepared and more efficient.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
A similar experience is why I became a neck breaker. I always felt like cutting their heads off or slitting the throat just took me too long and I had to "look them in the eye" more.

When I kill my chickens for eating I hold their feet in my left hand and grasp them by the head in my right hand and then just pull. This breaks their necks really fast. They die quickly. After they are dead, I use my poultry shears to remove their head and let them bleed out.

Works great for me, especially on younger birds like fryers.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We had a similar problem with the first roo we butchered. We found that the knife wasn't sharp enough. SO was so upset about the way that the killing went. He came up with all kinds of excuses as to why we shouldn't kill the rest of the roo's "yet", including the meatbirds we raised! :rolleyes:
By the time I finally talked him into butchering the rest of the birds, it was a bit late and they ended up a little tough. We still have parts of them in the freezer, and he is not to keen on cooking them up :barnie
I'll be sneaking them into our meals. I figure if I either pressure cook them or cook them in the crock pot with a tenderizing broth, they will probably be ok.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first processing job, even if it didn't turn out as you hoped. You will get better at it, I promise.

I've tried several different ways and chopping seems to be the quickest for me. I will probably slit when I help Grady with his this summer, but my own will always be a chop job.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great job! and yes it will get better once you have your system down

Buster - always great to see you here..and feel free to post that pic of your axe again....

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
41A64YDWFQL._SS500_.jpg

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm sure that your dad is proud of you for trying. It's a big step and one that shows a lot of maturity. Don't give up. The average person doesn't even realize where their food comes from (and most don't want to know), much less have the gumption to process it themselves.

As The Vail Benton's said, "It's not one of the "fun" tasks, but it is one of the most important responsibilities when we raise animals for food. My hat is off to you!" Mine too.