USDA...National Agricultural Classifaction Survey?????????

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today my Dad call me and tells me that he has some paperwork for me. He gives me this survey from the USDA,..it is a survey to find out what kind of animals you have or how many acres you own and how much pasture, do you farm or ranch??,...blah,blah,... My question is, has anyone else here recieved such a survey or does anyone know what the purpose of this survey is?? I do not see where it is mandatory or anything. Is this just another way the government is nosing into our business??? If anyone has any info on it I would appreciate it,...:) Thanks!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Nope and ummmmm I dont plant to fill it out...............if I get one.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
In Scotland, you are under strict government regs with animals.
You are required to notify of all natural deaths. You are never allowed to dispose of the animal.
If you wnat to eat one of your own animals, you are required to notify this, and have a "proper" butcher do the process.
Every year you have to inspected to make sure you did not lie about numbers of animals.
And this is for things like having your own chickens or pigs in your little backyard croft!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I would use that form to line your chicken coop and not give it a second thought.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
a big ol' hell no over here too... sounds like its time to lock the gate...sheesh!

i'm sending OD out on additional patrols...

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have never recieved anything like this before,..but Dad did register his Bees with the state of WV so he could have them inspected and such,..and I believe this is why we recieved this. He wanted me to fill it out and send it in, I told him no and began to explain the "things" the government is trying to implement on us to regulate our freedoms on having animals and even gardens,..he isn't up to date on his info,..I never planned on filling it out, just wanted to know what you all thought and if anyone else had recieved one. I do agree it is probably a way to probe into our business to see what we have and what we don't,...I believe it isn't any of their business,.;)

Here is their link,.. www.nass.usda.gov
....if you would like to check it out.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I used to get the sheep survey and I filled it out. I don't see the big deal.

Besides, I'm a government employee in the ag field, and I would be upset if someone like Granny Miller yelled at me for doing my job. Of course, we always get permission before going on someone's property. It's not like the employee created the survey. :rolleyes: He was just doing his job. She could have been polite and still told him her opinion.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A form like like might not have been a big deal a couple of years ago. Now, in context with new regulation, expanding government, and an anti small business agenda, I don't trust a damn thing coming from the gooberment.