Uses for dehydrator...need ideas

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this site and loving the wealth of info. I linked here off Backyard Chicken. Point to my post is...I received a food dehydrator for Christmas and other than the obvious dried fruits, I can't think of any thing else to dry. I'd love to hear what you all are drying!!

Deborah

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Socks...no just kidding.

I dry fruits, jerky, tomatoes, peppers, onions(outside!) and fruit roll ups for the kids.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I also make kefir leather (or yogurt leather if you want) with mine.

Crispy dehydrated (and sea salted) okra is to die for! Better than corn chips!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I also make kefir leather (or yogurt leather if you want) with mine.

Crispy dehydrated (and sea salted) okra is to die for! Better than corn chips!
I'll have to try that okra :drool I always have too much okra here.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You have to slice it into 1/2 inch rounds, or less I suppose, but I've only done it with 1/2 inch rounds. :) (I also like to dust with cayenne too...but not for kiddos.)

Oh how I miss my southern foods!!

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Socks...no just kidding.

I dry fruits, jerky, tomatoes, peppers, onions(outside!) and fruit roll ups for the kids.
I was wondering about doing onions and garlic? I can see why you would want to do it outside. Does the smell wash out of the dehydrator. I've been avoiding these two because I was afraid that all of my stuff would come out stinking of onions.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Nope, you can successfully dehydrate onnions and galric, but do it outside. The stink washed right off, but for extra precaution, spray your tray with vinegar/water mix and let dry. For the record, i just did some pepper that were maked reduced, and next time I think I will do them outside too. A little storng smelling.

You can dehydrate jerky, any type of fruit and veggies, although some work better than others. Bread cubes for croutons, you name it you can dry it. There is a thread floating around on here--"what are yo dehydrating today" or something like that.