Uses for dehydrator...need ideas

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Fruit leather is really great because it is such a good use for not-really-all-that-good fruits. I don't just mean "over the hill", I mean ones that were just not very TASTY because it was a poor year for them or lousy variety or whatever. Even the blandest boringest fruit is pretty good when pureed, maybe cooked down a bit if needed, and then "leatherized" :)

Pat

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I have some really great ideas now and I'll keep a lookout for other thread posts.

And I'm gonna get okra next time I'm at the store!!:drool

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
this woman is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to dehydrating... She dehydrates EVERYTHING and gives good directions on how to do it and store it along with recipes on how to cook with it once you have it dried!

http://www.dehydrate2store.com/

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I like to make croutons. Bake a loaf of herb bread adding 1 Tbsp of Italian herbs to the recipe. Cut loaf into cubes when cooled. Toss cubes in large bowl with homemade Italian dressing until moist. Dehydrate cubes until crunchy.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Watermelon! I'm not kidding. You cut them maybe 1/2 inch thick, and they take forever, but you end up with chewy, candy-like pieces that kids love. :)

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Do... Not... Dehydrate... Cabbage... In.. The.. House....

Ask me how I know!

If yours is a big box dehydrator you can raise bred in it, make yogurt, and use it like a tandori oven.

If it is a stacking shelf one then you can also do jerky, herbs, make paper. Lots of stuff.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had some button mushrooms that were going to go bad and my son dehydrated them and uses them in sauces. Great for when you run out and can't stand the canned ones.

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can dehydrate absolutely anything, if you do it right! What sort of dehydrator is it? Some have setting for yogurt-making too.

But seriously, people dry everything, fruits, veggies, meats, nuts, grains, eggs, milk, soup... I've done fruits and veggies, (leather is especially good) some things can be air-dried but will dry quicker in the dehydrator, like herbs and some green beans.

The specs on the different foods are different. Some you want to dry at a high heat, while others will scorch. Do plenty of research! And bear in mind, drying things like meat, eggs and milk can be dangerous if messed up, so keep an eye on them.

Here are my favorites:

Dried celery (It's surprisingly good... Naturally salty-tasting)
Beef Jerky (I've lived for days on the stuff while camping)
Leather/fruits (Sweet, healthy snack! Peaches and asian pears do very well!)

EllenDee

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The best dehydrated food I have found is tomato paste - it goes off almost straight away as a paste, but lasts forever & reconstitutes instantly when dried - you can add it to soups, stews or use it as a pizza base.. anything!

Almost any vegetable is good, and can be added to a slow cooked stew later, and of course dried fruit is just divine. If you are prepared for a bit more effort, glace fruits are also a great investment - they take a bit of time every day, but are well worth while.