Uses for dehydrator...need ideas

musiclee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
Cool, do you have a link?
I'm new and it won't let me put links, yet. I'm not sure when they start allowing that. Even though it seems to allow it in my signature.

I've tried to get them where you can cut and paste.

This is one I saw on eggs. I guess it's just scrambled. I'm not sure they would work for baking.
youtube.com/watch?v=NZTA4AheYNw

Here's an article for cheese. I also saw things that say don't dry cheese. Who knows what is correct.
ehow.com/how_4885626_dehydrate-cheese-food-storage{dot}html

The boullion video had a follow-up with problems and potential concerns. I just found it. I still think there should be some way to do this esp. since there is so much salt. I'm going to look for other resources on it.
First video
youtube.com/watch?v=5DQSTEOJEoI&feature=related
Response video
youtube.com/watch?v=2rs3XsnwQBI&feature=watch_response

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Musiclee I'll take a look.

Maybe only some cheeses work.
I'll have to look more for eggs, want baking eggs! :)

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I found an interesting "how -to" online for dehydrating fruits and veggies for use as baby food. You would mill the food as usual, add some water and pour it out very thinly in the dehydrator then dehydrate until it was brittle. Then you pulverize it and store it in a zip-loc baggie and reconstitute with water or breast milk.

I don't know exactly what that would do for nutrition values, but it's a nice alternative to the typical "mill it and freeze it". Great for camping and road trips, I imagine.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I no longer have my dehydrator, but I remember the racks having holes in them. How do you dry things that are basically liquid at the beginning? Line the trays with something like wax paper?
We have one of the large box type dehydrators (Excalibur) and purchased some teflon type sheets with it, to lay on the racks. They work quite well.

steffpeck

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My husband just read in the last day or two about drying eggs. I will get his information on it, and post it. I would of never thought about drying eggs in a million years.

What kind of dehydrator did you get??