Vacation Ideas

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok so I'm seriously in a funk over this whole we-haven't-had-a-family-vacation-since-2002.

Financially, we can't afford to do anything real extravagant. Because ideally I'd like to go to Tampa, Florida and visit the Florida Aquarium, but that's OUT for this year. (never been to Florida)

Or, I'd like to go to Georgia and spend a week there so I could visit with my grandmother whom I haven't seen since my Dad died in 2000. Plus, there's other family there to visit - and it's only a hop and a skip to see my Sis and her kids in Alabama......

But, we just can't afford a trip out of state right now (kind of a wish in one hand and ___________ in the other situation.

I've looked into a few campsites, and we could do an over night camping trip at several different campgrounds here in Ohio for around $30 or less a night (tent camping!). Plus the gas to get there and supplying our own food, etc.

But, we could also go to the Harrison State Forest less than 9 miles from home and go tent camping FREE - but the only thing to do there is fishing, which I hate.

If we go to one of the campgrounds that are $30 or less, even for 1 night or 2, I can go swimming, kids and E can go fishing - total win win IMO. lol

Other thoughts we had, just taking a day to go to the zoo, but that will cost more than our camping idea.

We also looked at spending a day at one of the many amusement parks around, but our family is so large it would cost us over $200 just to get in the door. Um....not happening. I don't want to put out $200+ and spend the day in hot sun with 5 cranky kids.

And Sea World is gone. (unless we go to Florida)

And the only aquarium close by is the Pittsburgh Zoo and it's a nightmare to get to.

Admission into the zoos aren't bad, but again, all day with 5 kids and I'm afraid it will end in cranky mess again.

So are there any other ideas?

We're not looking to go tomorrow, or even this month, but we're thinking more towards July or August, and if that doesn't work, we've also talked about just saving x amount of $ each week towards a little better vacation and waiting until Winter to go do something - but that means by then the kid count will be up by 1.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Contact the local tourism bureau for your area. There may be day trips that you can take as a family that cost little or no money, things that you don't even know are there. You don't need to go away from home for a vacation, in fact day trips are often better. Nothing wrong w/a staycation.

Some things you can do w/the kids that are inexpensive

1. Have a picnic. Take various outside games w/you. It's a trip away, but other than the price of gas, doesn't really cost anything.

2. Get kite making supplies, and let the kids make their own kites. When I was a kid, almost no one bought a kite, we all made our own, often out of the Sunday comics.

3. Take up letter boxing, or geo caching or both.

4. Look to see if there's some kind of nature center in your area. Often, they'll have organized walks, whether they're nature walks, bird walks, or whatever.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When we camp/trailer in the desert I need at least four days. It takes me 2 to relax and then I enjoy the rest.

Motocross to me is kinda like fishing to you. I normally take books I don't have time to read or some type of crafting.

Just something to do while I sit and do nothing. :p

I say try the tent camping somewhere. Pre make as much of the food as you can so it's heat and eat. Take a comfy chair and a good book. You will have fun and relax.

Not sure if you can go for a whole week but most campgrounds have weekly rates that are cheaper.

g

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We live in a place where there are lots of fun touristy things to do. So we decided to camp in out own back yard and play tourist in our own county this summer.

When DD was young we often had camp outs in the backyard. We invited her friends and had picnics,barbeques, did arts and crafts stuff and whatever games any of us could think of. Sometimes we bought a kiddy pool, or created our own slip and slide with whatever slick plasticy sheeting we had. Most of the time the kids had lots of fun, just having the tent up and using their own imaginations for play with just a few new props supplied by us.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Any of the state parks are nice. What about Chagrin Falls? How about Hocking Hills?
We have talked about going to Hocking Hills for a day, not as a camp over. There's a little familiy history with that park - E's great - great - grandfather actually owned some of the land that is now part of the Old Man's Caves. He farmed it, and when he passed away, left the land in his will to the park.

So, yea, we've thought about that.

What we're kind of tossing around right now is a bit of a compromise - going to the Harrison State forest for some free tent camping. Close enough that we can do the chores in the morning before we leave, camp over night and fish, and then come back home the next evening for chores. That way, don't have to ask anyone to take care of critters.

Meanwhile, we'll work to save some $ and take the kids to one of the zoos for a day. We're looking at the different ones. I found a decent site that has a listing of over 27 zoos/animal sanctuarys in Ohio - there's even a butterfly house!

The best deal we've found so far is the Cleveland Zoo - free parking, and we could get the whole family in for $65.

But the zoo wouldn't be until July or so.

For now, we're talking just a night or two at the free campground - it's still something to do off farm as a family, and the only thing we have to provide is our own water. :)

Now, I'm off to look up Chagrin Falls since I've never heard of it!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Some libraries have passes to nearby attractions that you can reserve with your library card. See if interlibrary loan allows you to reserve admission to something near the campground so you can give the kids something extra. I loved our family museum visits when I was a kid, living 40 min north of Boston. And it would be something to do in an air-conditioned building if it got really hot out or if it rains.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Discover Ohio will send you emails about what is going on in the different regions of the state.

http://consumer.discoverohio.com/

What we love about the Cleveland Zoo is you don't have to try to do the entire zoo plus the rainforest in one day. I think you have 6 months to use the second half of the ticket. We found that this is really helpful when you have small children.

WHAT?! You have never heard of Chagrin Falls? :th Haven't you ever read my journal? :lol: See page 34, post 337 for some pics

TR and I have many years of memories at Chagrin Falls. It is a great place to visit. And on Sunday, you could go to Parkside Church. ;)

http://www.chagrin-falls.org/
http://www.parksidechurch.com/

ETA: Of course, you'd probably have to get some help with animal care, but Buccaneer Campgrounds is down the street from us... or we have 85 acres, most of it not being used. Pymatuning Lake or Lake Erie are not far for fishing, swimming. ;)

http://www.buccaneercampsites.com/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
A day of fishing/swimming/picnic sounds like a winner to me. Very low budget and loads of fun for everyone. Spend the morning having the kids dig worms for fishing, while you prep food for the picnic, pack it, and get the kiddos to load the car. Bring home your catch(hopefully) for supper late that afternoon. Some of the best times I remember as a kid was when my uncles would take me and my cousins fishing all day after we caught the bait :lol: Then we'd have a big fish fry outside in my grandmas yard, it was awesome!