Vacation Ideas

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Yeah, Sea World leaving Aurora was a hard one - we had season passes when prices where still reasonable. :somad We were relatively close and it was great packing a picnic "dinner" and going after work with the young family and staying until the fireworks show. The place would start to empty out and was easy to navigate.

Another thing to look into is discounts like through AAA (if you have a family member who is a member).

SS forum day at the Cleveland Zoo? :D
TR's dad grew up a walking distance from the lake...where he spent his "free" hours swimming and fishing. He was always upset that Geauga Lake and Sea World were built to begin with. :/

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
E wants to know if you and TR are going to go fishing/swimming with us if we come up there? :lol:

Course, we have to wait until school is out next week, and I have a few of the critters up for sale (not Jett) to help cut back on amount of animal chores/and mouths to feed PLUS hoping to put some of the $ from the sale of them towards whatever we decide to do.
TR and I are not swimmers; long stories, but there it is in a nutshell. Fishing we do. :)

I am guessing you put NOT JETT, so TR wouldn't offer to take him off your hands. :lol:

Good luck at the sales.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What's a vacation?

The last time we went camping with kids, I decided that I did more work than usual getting things ready, at the campsite and cleaning everything up after we got home. I never could relax or sleep well.

A day trip worked out better for us.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I am guessing you put NOT JETT, so TR wouldn't offer to take him off your hands. :lol:
Egg-actly!!! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It is so easy to stay-cation in my area.

Pikes Peak, Helen Hunt Falls, Cheyenne Caon, Paint Mines Park, The Fountain Creek Nature Center, Frisbie Golf at the local park, Blue Stem open space, The Cheyenne Mountain zoo, Gold Camp Road, Bear Creek Nature Center....

I could go on but it wouldn't be fair. :D

Of course we are tied to a retail store AND have animals, so long vacations are always out. Plus a cranky autistic son does leave a lot of things off our list. The last trip we took was a long weekend to Kansas to visit our son in the Army. Scenic Junction City Kansas :rolleyes:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

Pikes Peak, Helen Hunt Falls, Cheyenne Caon, Paint Mines Park, The Fountain Creek Nature Center, Frisbie Golf at the local park, Blue Stem open space, The Cheyenne Mountain zoo, Gold Camp Road, Bear Creek Nature Center....
Here too; you just need to know about it. :D TR and I have taken lots of local day trips and there are still places we'd like to visit here in Ohio. Like Malabar Farm :) Of course, I'm not sure QA wants to take a vacation from her farm to visit a farm. :lol:

http://www.malabarfarm.org/html/

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I too, would order an Ohio tourism guide, After visiting the Lancaster County PA Amish, we learned that the biggest Amish population was in Ohio, and would love to visit that area. Just by visiting these communities one could not only learn about being self sufficient, you can actually see it for yourself! A lot of stuff in them stores I'd love to have!
We generally drive to a vacation destination and hit a couple places along the way, that do not cost an arm and a leg.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail----also search---Ohio festivals

I typed in NC festivals and a list of festivals came up for the state. I wanted to plan some camping trips around festivals...of course Tony wants to go to all the BBQ festivals in the mountains.....they have every time of crazy festival known to man in our areas...lol...watermelon festivals, peach festivals, BBQ, old farm day with horse drawn tractors, blue grass, jazz, flower festivals, etc

they are free attendance and are entertaining etc.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

I could go on but it wouldn't be fair. :D

Of course we are tied to a retail store AND have animals, so long vacations are always out. Plus a cranky autistic son does leave a lot of things off our list. The last trip we took was a long weekend to Kansas to visit our son in the Army. Scenic Junction City Kansas :rolleyes:
You forgot Garden of the Gods! :D Was there in 2007, just gorgeous! And visited Pikes Peak! Loved it!

No, kel, NO FARM TOURS. We had looked at petting zoos, but I said Um hello? The kids could do all that HERE. Kind of defeats the purpose.

chrissum, sorry, I'm so worn out with the Amish, that Amish Country is the LAST place I want to go. They've lost their "romantic appeal". LOL

Local festivals sounds like a good idea!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea if you type in Ohio festivals and fairs you hit tons in your area happening thru summer. Plus the "fairs" have rides, sure beats the price of an amusement park...lol...I checked out Dollywood...to get thru the door is $210...man oh man

but local fairs, you can hit some rides and come out way cheaper lol