Val's SS journal- Fair food! Yea!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Seven days off and on my second day. I have a ton of errands to do- food shop, pick up mail, pay bills, recycle bins and- I really want to go to a riding school around here and sign up for lessons! Yes, I have been riding my whole life, had my first pony in 3rd grade, and currently have way too many horses. But, since moving up here I haven't had any way to actually ride anyone to any good effect- no ring to break the youngsters in, the sacrifice paddock is big enough but very very rocky and actuallly too big to break a horse in. I don't have (too expensive!) a round pen. I haven't done anything but ride down the road for the last 6 years once or twice a year. :/ I am completely out of shape and I need to ride to get back in riding shape. I don't dare break my current young horse who needs it without being fit! She's way too athletic ;) and would have me off in a second.

So, I am going back to lessons for the winter.

Of course, it is currently snowing. I need to put out a round bale before I go anywhere. And the little tractor doesn't have a cab and I don't feel like being snowed on. I would so much rather stay inside and dry and warm and hope it stops snowing some time soon than go out in the mucky weather so I can get an early start. OK, so I've already missed the "early" part. But, another cup of coffee sounds lovely right now.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Day 3 of vacation and it snowed again over night. I didn't get to the barn yesterday because I was afraid my little car wouldn't get out of a barn driveway off a dirt road in the snow. I didn't want to tempt fate. I was going to wait till today, but- more snow. The fates are conspiring!

I did get a nice batch of soap made yesterday- lemongrass and sage that smells so clean and light- my second favorite so far after Dragonblood. I love the silicone molds I bought- nice big bars. Not as fancy as the Milky Way molds I got, but I won't accidentally melt them pre-heating the oven to keep the batch warm to incubate :p.

I don't know what I want to do today- SO has today off, so maybe we will do some house project that I want help with like cleaning out the closet or the filing cabinet. That was one of my New Years resolution.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
How do you describe a smell? :D It is sort of incense-y- not fruity, or flowery. More spicey. I will have to find the description and copy it!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Exotic, haunting, and mysterious are just a few of the words that come to mind when describing this extremely sophisticated and very complex fragrance. It's moody, warm and very appealing with touches of amber, incense and a tiny hint of patchouli making the layering of this fragrance something special. If you are a fan of the more sensual scents such as amber, myrrh, and sandalwood, you'll go wild for Dragons Blood!
I was right- incense!

http://southerngardenscents.com/ind..._id=73&zenid=70f4608e2d9df5e02e16b342c1ba35b8

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Day 4 of my vacation. SO is really sick enough to stay in bed. I am a terrible nurse. That's why I didn't go into nursing. She is a terrible patient. Won't stay put, gets fretful and aggravated at being sick. And now, a migraine on top of everything because of the congestion. Wants scrambled eggs for dinner, I cook it, but I don't cook like she does and they don't taste right. (how many ways can you screw up scrambled eggs??) Just trying to keep her hydrated is a fight.

Did I say I am a terrible nurse?

I did finally get out to the barn to sign up to ride once a week so I can start getting back in riding shape. That was a nice afternoon, meeting everyone. And went food shopping for more local gingerale (since that is one of the few things SO will hydrate with) and eggs. And picked up the mail, went to the bank. I feel like I am getting nothing done on my week off. I was hoping to have the house to myself to clean out clothes and donate them, and clean out the filing "system" or lack thereof. Hasn't happened.

sigh.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Weekend! Yeah! My last 2 days before getting back on the work treadmill.

It has been nice seeing the animals in the daylight, being able to put a round bale in for the horses in the daylight, Being able to foodshop during the day and not in a hurry on my way home from work.

I haven't actually accomplished much- I got one bag of clothes for donation, but there are so many more to go. I hate putting good clothes in those metal bins because I'd really like stuff to go to people who would like/use it. I just hate the thought of bundling up expensive clothes from my past life into a garbage bag and mushing it into the metal bin. But, it doesn't make any sense at all to keep the stuff, either. It is just cluttering up what little closet space exists in this house. It's a nice big house, but with no storage whatsoever.

I hate to sound like I don't want my SO around, but I was sort of counting on having the house to myself for at least 4 days this week to do stuff like that. It didn't happen. :/

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

I know what you mean about your SO....I get NOTHING done when my Hubby is home. I shouldn't complain because it is sweet that he likes my company, but it is frustrating when you have projects that you want to work on!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Back to work I go... :/ Get up and ready in the dark, take out hot water for the chickens so it doesn't freeze solid before they wake up. Home in the dark, change, let out dogs, fly down the hill with the tractor, lock horses in the barn so I can get a round bale in, fill water trough, feed grain, let horses out, hopefully get tractor back up the icy hill to park in garage (SO likes it to stay warm). Then I'm done.

I hate putting bales out in the dark- the headlights on the tractor just aren't that useful.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Valmom, I know whatcha mean about sick SO's! I love mine too, but gawd, when he is sick he is such a baby and totally underfoot :gig

Latest posts