Val's SS journal- Fair food! Yea!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, it seems early to me, but the sap is running! I have tapped our grand total of 6 trees (because that's how many buckets we have- yes, I want to get more!) and I boiled sap this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't get my act together to get a rocket stove built outside, so I am again boiling it on the stove. Not the most efficient way to do it, but it is all mine!

YEAH! Spring is here!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hey, cool! I was wondering if I should tap here in MA, if you are, then I need to! I have no equipment, we will attempt to make our own taps and I have some surgical tubing that I hope to use to send the sap into five gallon pails. I have 3-5 trees....I say it this way, because I have to temporarily fence the goats away from my taps for this, and I'm not sure how much spare fencing I have and how much trouble I want to deal with. I can close the gate on three of the trees, so I have at least that many.

We will need to use a rocket stove, as I don't dare boil inside. I plan to finish it inside, though.

You are inspiring me!!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Real maple syrup!!! yummy

It is definitely worth the trouble. We had neighbors (in upstate New York) who made their own. We were fortunate to get the occasional bottle of syrup from them.
When I visited the folks this last fall, I purchase two small bottles of locally made real maple syrup and had to ship it home to CA. They won't let you take liquids in your carry on luggage :(

It was worth it though :D

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Yeah!!!

I am going to start after the next storm.... I helped Mark last year after I took a free class on how to make it. Sure its pretty simple, but having a free class just to see how its done and no second guessing yourself.

I have to admit its good too. I did hot bath mine in quart jar for keeping as I still had a purchased gallon open in the fridge.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I paid $13.75 for 1 pint and $7.95 for 1/2 pint and then it cost $5.99 to ship it!! I considered them my "souveniers" and gave the smaller bottle to DD, who also loves real maple syrup.

So, I think it is wonderfull, that you have the opportunity to make your own!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
valmom said:
Well, it seems early to me, but the sap is running! I have tapped our grand total of 6 trees (because that's how many buckets we have- yes, I want to get more!) and I boiled sap this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't get my act together to get a rocket stove built outside, so I am again boiling it on the stove. Not the most efficient way to do it, but it is all mine!

YEAH! Spring is here!
We'll be boiling on the stove again this year. DH didn't get the outdoor stove built either. We haven't tapped yet. Probably one afternoon this week. No biggie, it's just one tree! ;) We have taps and then just use large coffee cans to collect the sap. DH made covers that hang over them. I meant to look for two used buckets over the summer but forgot. Next year....

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I paid $13.75 for 1 pint and $7.95 for 1/2 pint and then it cost $5.99 to ship it!! I considered them my "souveniers" and gave the smaller bottle to DD, who also loves real maple syrup.

I am planing to make more than I need and hot bath them in those small sample white lid jam jars!!!

Then I am going to sell them when I do the shows!! Thanks FD for the idea :celebrate

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Very nice! I just bought some syrup at the store- so expensive! I wish I had a better source, but that's unlikely in this area.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
FarmerDenise said:

I am planing to make more than I need and hot bath them in those small sample white lid jam jars!!!

Then I am going to sell them when I do the shows!! Thanks FD for the idea :celebrate
You're very welcome :lol:
I know I would buy some

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm so excited to try this... it will probably be this coming weekend for us to tap trees, it's just barely getting above freezing every once in a while right now.

ETA: Do you have a problem with boiling it inside, other than humidity? Hubby insists it would coat the entire kitchen in sugar, but I think it would be fine...

Latest posts