Vegetarians Unite...And Make Delicious, Economical And Nutritious Food

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I honor and respect all people's chosen way of eating, as long as it is something they have carefully researched and thought out. I do not want anybody commenting negatively on my eating habits and so try to give the same respect to others.
Well said! :clap

Eating healthy is one of my top priorities and also being a great "healthy eating role model" for my daughter. I think we are all passionate about eating healthy or we wouldn't be here discussing it. A day doesn't go by without me thinking about what my family is putting into their bodies. I've tried a bunch of ways to get the job done, and I would never comment negatively on someone else's eating practices.

BTW I love the recipes that this thread has produced and I am still looking for that NUT cookbook. :)

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, I am one of the passionate ones. Perhaps, there is a 12 step program for me.

What is the NUT cookbook?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DianeB said:
Sorry, I am one of the passionate ones. Perhaps, there is a 12 step program for me.

No need to apologize, we are all passionate, healthy eaters! :D

The Nut Cookbook is a cookbook I got when I was a vegan. (Forgive me for not finding it faster, I moved 2300 miles away from my original home last year and I still have boxes of books (TONS OF BOXES OF BOOKS!!!!) waiting to have shelves built before I can unload them. (That was a long sentence, wasn't it?) But I am going through one box at a time until then to look for that book and other vegan and vegetarian cookbooks.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
DianeB said:
Hey, this is your thread! I am not criticizing you in any way, shape or form.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
FarmerChick - "yea but Sylvie what if whole wheat and all that wheat gluten etc. is a problem for you? Many people have whole wheat allergies and all that mess. So again, one diet never fits all, in fact it can kill."

Everybody needs a variety of foods, and should learn some about nutrition. People with food restrictions need to work at having lots of nutrients- but it can be done. Gotta eat Smart then.
If you cant do gluten- cook it yourself. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I worked in health food long enough to know the prices. There are lots of mixes and products but people can go broke buying the convenience version for gluten free.

Wifezilla- Thanks for posting the recipes. Glad you figured out what works for you about the carbs. My body likes whole grains and handles the other ones okay. I stay away from HFCS and much sugar though. The thread was about eating healthy, vegetarian food that wasn't going to break the bank.
Not trying to bash carnivores but don't want to get way off topic.

Freemotion- DE is great agoinst slugs - and many other things that want to beat us to our food!

DianeB- I'm trying a food journal called NutriMirror. Just started it, but you can enter recipes and it's free. Two plusses in my book. It covers nutrition way past the govt. label stuff.

Meandthegals- "It's interesting to me how eating preferences bring up such strong feelings. I guess my only really strong feeling is that food should be good. Whether it is meat (grassfed, organic, natural) or veggies (organic, sustainable).
I honor and respect all people's chosen way of eating, as long as it is something they have carefully researched and thought out. I do not want anybody commenting negatively on my eating habits and so try to give the same respect to others."

I like your attitude about diet.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NutriMirror - I think I will try it.

Just cameback from Trader Joes. Great vegetarian stuff but very expensive. Splurged and bought some nice imported cheese. Also bought some Dr. Bronners soap for a dollar less than the grocery store. So I guess it evens out.

I do have 366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans and Grains right next to me. This is a great vegetarian book. Here is something I made a few days ago:

Honey-Mustard Quick Baked Beans

3 Cups cooked red kidney beans (freeze beans in 1 1/2 cup bags for just such recipes)
1 small onion
1/2 cup tomato ketchup (used can tomato sauce)
1/3 cup honey
3 TBSP Dijon mustard
1 TBSP cider vinegar
1/4 tsp black pepper
Salt

Preheat oven 350 degrees
Combine ingredients in 2-quart casserole dish. Cover and bake 45 minutes.
This could also be put in the microwave and brown in the oven about 5-10 minutes.

Heres another recipe in the book. Haven't tried it yet.

Syrian Lentils in a Spicy Tomato Sauce

1 Cup green French lentils, rinsed
4 Cups water
1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
3 onions sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can peeled tomatoes
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 TBSP ground cumin
3/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
Rice or couscous (optional)

Combine lentils and water in medium saucepan, cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes or lentils are tender and hold shape. Set aside do not drain.

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic for 10 minutes. Add lentils and cooking liquid. Chop tomatoes and add with liquid. Add tomato paste and spices. Simmer for 15 minutes. Salt and pepper generously. Serve or hot rice or couscous.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
DianeB said:

The Nut Cookbook is a cookbook I got when I was a vegan. (Forgive me for not finding it faster, I moved 2300 miles away from my original home last year and I still have boxes of books (TONS OF BOXES OF BOOKS!!!!) waiting to have shelves built before I can unload them. (That was a long sentence, wasn't it?) But I am going through one box at a time until then to look for that book and other vegan and vegetarian cookbooks.
After 30 plus years of marriage my mom is still waiting for some bookshelves.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:th thirty years?

My mom says her next husband will be a carpenter...she is 80 and has been married to my dad for 58 years!!! Family joke I suppose, but having someone who can build shelves in the family is priceless! :)

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
freemotion said:
Do vegans not breastfeed? :rolleyes:

OK, I think it is time to go back to vegetarian recipes! :p
Well, technically, that's not a vegan product! :lol:

I think plenty of them would. Hopefully, they will get a nutritionist's advice for pregnancy and the breastfeeding period. The needs are really high then- you'd have to know what you are doing to make it work then.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
DianeB said:
big brown horse said:
DianeB said:

After 30 plus years of marriage my mom is still waiting for some bookshelves.
She's been patient long enough. Bookshelves are easy to build. I made them in my old place. Home Depot or similar places probably have workshops on it. She could get a book on home projects. Or hire a starving college student to build her some.

Latest posts