Veggies

What's your favorite or least favorite veggie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Voting? when you choose something it could be EITHER favorite or least liked -- it will all come out as same in a vote. So you do not get a result. Maybe that's why there are other posts.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went from okra hater to okra lover. But that is only for 2 versions. Stewed okra and fried okra. I refuse to eat it boiled. :sick

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think my most favorite veggie is cabbage. Wife make great cabbage rolls and then there is sour kraut and oh... cabbage soup over rice for those long winter nights and when your feeling a little down. Nothing sets my mood right like cabbage soup and it's so good for you too...

My next favorite would be beets and expecially raw beet juice (I know it's an equired taste - either you really like them or you can't stand them) but just a little raw beet juice mixed in with a glass of lemonaid for a quick and lasting burst of energy. My wife's canned candied beets are second to none... I find myself carving them come early spring shortly after - I've finished off the last jar in the winter.

Next favorite would be tomatoes and expecially beef steak tomatoes. I've been developing the ideal fried green and tomato sandwich tomato from a open pollinated beef steak. I'm currently on the 3rd generation (5th year) and just about got it where I think I'm ready to start selling bare root seedlings next year. This year's plants are consistently producing between 1 & 2 lb tomatoes and I broke my own 3lb 4 oz record this year with a 3lb 9oz and a 3lb 11 oz. I would like to see 4+ lbs tomatoes. I still have a few green ones on the vines that might top 4lbs - maybe.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll pass on those tomatoes if they taste like V8:sick

IDK... they taste pretty dogone good to me :)

Failed to mention - the big ones pictured are for seeding only, I have a box full of 3+ lb for seeding this year. It's been a good garden year here in southern IL. I'm going to have lots of 3rd generation seeds.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why don't you attempt to get into the Guinness World Record Book?

Well I have a Long Long ways to go. The world record tomato weighed 8.41 lbs.
See here ---> http://m.worldrecordacademy.com/?url=http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/nature/heaviest_tomato_Dan_MacCoy_breaks_Guinness_World_Records_record_214064.html&utm_referrer=#2615

But note the similarities with the strain I'm developing. See how multiple tomatoes grow together to make a single huge tomato? I'm shooting for consistency... a vine that produces good tasting & sized tomatoes for tomato sandwiches and fried green tomatoes. Not so much world record setting size. <--- guess I'm just a southern guy... I like my fried green and tomato sandwiches.

Last edited: