Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
, i can go on a lot about beans, but they're way up there on my favorites. :)

Lot of beans here.

Some stores will toss rather than mark down. I get things on the mark down. Hey, if you had gotten it 5 min before -- full price! At WalMart they mark day before, day of...if still there, a 2nd downing of price.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to go dairy free. I loooove dairy. It does not love me. Was that a hard thing to give up? I apparently am struggling with it lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I need to go dairy free. I loooove dairy. It does not love me. Was that a hard thing to give up? I apparently am struggling with it lol

It's my hard-est thing to give up. But when I do go dairy-free i'm always surprised that I don't miss it - at all. Smoothies has helped me a lot to have "creamy" satisfied feeling without dairy. I use oils and protein (collagen) in all my smoothies.

I was dependent on cheese before the first time I went dairy-free. Learning to cook with umami flavor (besides cheese) was an important skill for not-missing-cheese. Fish sauce and celery are kitchen staples for me now. :eek:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Full disclosure here for a minute. I have not been budgeting or restricting my grocery expenses in any way. I'm going for the best, most impactful, most healthful nutrition. I've had some missteps ratchet up the cost, but it's still astronomical. January 2020 grocery expenses - about $1,000.00. :eek: I tossed some mixed receipts from walmart with a few misc items so it's a bit less, but not by a lot.

Compare to 3 years ago, my grocery budget was $115/month for family of 4.

So I'm trying to reel it in a bit without losing any health or functioning. Now that I'm set into a nutrition routine, I should be able to trim my pantry down to essentials. I don't have family meals into a routine yet. For now, they'll be eating down the panty/freezers. ;)

I started a freezer inventory today. It has been a year since I've had even a partial freezer inventory. I haven't started a pantry inventory, but it's on my to-do list. This will help me avoid buying extra foods we don't eat routinely.

Also happening today: reducing bone broth to bouillon paste. Have been scared to try it, so this is a first. Hoping to save space since I have so much bone broth frozen already.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I can chicken broth. Could you can bone broth?
I have canned it in the past. I have to pressure can outdoors on a propane burner, so I'm not very motivated. Especially in winter. :gig

DH bought a generator last year, so I'm not so wary of storing food in the freezers since.

Latest posts