Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grain free baking IS expensive. Geeze... almond flour is ridiculous! I've got coconut flour but most recipes call for the almond. I'm going to have to learn to substitute.

Your supper experience sounds like mine. I started out to do one thing and before it was finished I'd totally changed gears, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I blew my grocery budget out of the water. oh my! Grain-free baking is expensive! I won't be having these treats on a daily basis! :eek:

Thankfully, I don't have to use this for health -- checked prices as I was looking for something in a recipe and WOW!!! I mean, just WOW. $1-2 per ounce. Buy almonds and grind them!!! Still expensive but, a touch less. Like making ghee. More time than money.

I realize you use far less as you don't bake as much -- still, way expensive. Especially when you see 5# of reg flour at $2. PLUS many stores don't/can't carry many selections. Online or health food stores? Saw $10-12 for 3/4 of a pound. :(

You two have challenges.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I was chatting with some ladies in a Wahls Protocol FB about keeping grocery costs down. I did a little calculation. I buy 30 - 40 pounds of butter twice a year, when it's on sale for $2/pound. I'm making ghee. Ghee is typically $12 - $15 per 9 oz jar. By making ghee from butter I bought on sale, I will save over $1,000 per year. :eek:

I'm frying up a double batch of those fried meatballs with cauliflower in them. Last time I made a half-batch. Yummy! Will freeze most of them. Having meatballs with onion sauce, egg noodles for family and green beans for me. I like to used canned frenched green beans as a noodle substitute. Costs much less than the trendy frozen zucchini and squash strands. (Except my homemade zoodles! those are almost $0!)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
ALDI has large hass avocado on sale. I bought 2 cases - 96 avocado. I will freeze them to use in smoothies. I expect them to last a year - 2 smoothies per week. Savings will be $192 spread out over the year. They're currently "on sale" at another grocery store in the area for $2.50 each. :gig

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW, they are $1.28 each here...$2.50 is high for us. If you peel, de-seed and vac seal, they will last a couple of months in the frig. Yep, experience when I lost one in a frig. :D I just slice & eat, sometimes a guaq mix. Problem is that is that I want chips, too. Hmmm. Now I'm thinking a taco with sour cream would be nice.:rolleyes:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow I just bought some on sale for $.99 each. My DH said he heard something about an avocado shortage. Good to know you can freeze them, they're one of my favorites!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is the texture of them when you thaw them out? Are they fit to eat or just for smoothies?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@baymule Just smoothies or baking. They separate a little, get a little grainy.

@Mini Horses I can't imagine guacamole without high sour cream content. :/ I've given up guac for a while. I do like a big taco salad though! <3

I am surprised and extremely happy to report that my severe keratosis pilaris, which has not responded to any treatment, is 50% cleared in 3 weeks. I haven't used any skin products on it. :eek: I had heard that dairy can cause keratosis pilaris. Both my sons have it. I plan to take the older one off dairy, since he is pretty close to dairy-free. and he's vain enough to be motivated by clear skin. :D

Latest posts