Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Have you ever tried roasting your veggies? This works really well with the brassicas and also sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, etc. You want to cut them all about the same size. Roasting them in the oven gives them an entirely different taste and texture. Maybe it will be a way you could enjoy them.
I have tried roasting cabbage, garlic, and sweet potato. Didn't like the cabbage, but my son did. LOVE the sweet potato. Undecided about the garlic. It sure was easy to "peel" them afterward! I liked that part!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am processing avocado today! I'm using stand mixer to mash and lemon juice to prevent browning. I need more cocktail cube trays!

Also making ghee again. I bought a fine skimmer on amazon. I'm expecting less waste when I skim this batch.

I bought extra green peppers ($0.69 each for nice big ones). Sauteed them up with onions and froze them.

I made a savory grain-free dutch baby for kids' breakfast. Yum! The recipe uses a dozen eggs, so those chickens better sit on their eggs and keep them from freezing! I actually seasoned my cast iron skillet proper after.

Made salad dressing. It's basically spiced mayonnaise, with quercetin (anti-inflammatory supplement) added in.

I froze bone broth. Half the batch. The rest is destined for soup.

And I have no idea what to make for supper. :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I put up 3 half-pints of no-sugar strawberry freezer jam, 3 half-pints of no-sugar kiwi jam (or maybe sauce, IDK if it set), 3 half-pints of no-sugar blueberry jam. Was not a frugal activity to do this out of season, and Pomona pectin ain't cheap!! But better to have a few bits of sweet things on hand than to eat something in a moment of weakness that makes me feel sick for a whole lot longer.

I ordered a food processor since so many of my recipes depend on that tool. It will pay for itself though, because I'll be able to make Larabar type bars. I have been buying those, and at $2 - $3 each depending on the brand, they add up shockingly fast. If I make 25 snack bars, this thing has paid for itself. I have the ingredients on hand to make at least that many.

I spent extra $200 on groceries to get ingredients for new-to-me recipes. Fish sauce, coconut aminos, cassava flour, no-sugar apricot jam, tahini, mushroom powders, bulk gelatin, dried banana. I don't remember all of it. I will be able to make several condiments and sauces. the apricot jam is for a BBQ sauce recipe! Gravy and stir fry sauce also on the list to make.

This ranch dressing gets my thumbs up. Close enough to ranch to make me happy. I ate 2 huge salads in a row after making this dressing. I missed ranch flavor so much! Yum!
https://nomnompaleo.com/post/127040982773/paleo-lunchboxes-2015-part-2-paleo-ranch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am glad that you are getting the foods you need and are able to make some "sweets" to enjoy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I tried a recipe from The Paleo Bread Bible. (Don't buy the book, it's basically 3 recipes with variations, not worth it.) Lemon Blueberry bread / muffin recipe was good! I haven't calculated the cost of the recipe yet, but I know it was expensive! I will not be sharing with my family! I made a batch and froze them. I think this will be a holiday food just because the expense.