Want to come back on this forum after almost two years!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey homesteadmomma :)

It sounds like you have a good little business going with your chicken eggs. How much do you sell them for?

I did not do much canning this summer...kind of a weird slightly depressing summer for me. Next year I plan to hit it hard to make up for lost time! Did you post your recipes in the kitchen section??

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace, I sell chicken eggs for $2 per dozen. Duck eggs are sold for $3 per dozen.

I have yet to sell any hatching eggs but sold mixed ducklings this past spring. If the turkeys in the incubator hatch they are all sold, which I am not sure if I should keep some for me or not as dh isn't thrilled about turkeys. :rolleyes:

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, Punkin. I really have no idea where I have been! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow duck eggs here are more expensive...$6 for 1/2 dozen.
my area is so much higher? Woof

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmerchick, I just sell them to some of my "special" chicken egg customers. If I advertised them for sale then I would definitely ask at least $4 per dozen. :)

Today was been busy, busy, busy! Finished 14 pints of apple butter, moved the ducks into their winter pen, need to work on it more tomorrow, vacuumed the whole house, did dishes, two loads of laundry, need to go take them off the line. Then I spent the next three and a half hours of my day helping 9 year old dd clean her pigsty. We threw a bunch away, gathered up a bunch for the church give-away and re-organized. What a mess!!!!!

Now I need to go get to those clothes, unload the dishwasher, straighten up again and go get the rest of the veggies from the garden. We got frost and so I don't want to waste what is left out there. I think there is enough for salsa making (again) tomorrow. I told dh I am not even going to clean the top of my stove, except to wipe it down, until Sunday night.

We had a cool day and I love this weather. I am ready for cool fall days and fires in the woodstove. I have a crockpot of beans with a leftover ham bone cooking and it will be an easy dinner. A friend gave us a loaf of jalepeno cheese bread and that will go with it. YUM!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
You have been busy.

My DS needs a good cleaning out for his pigsty, too. Maybe Monday or Tuesday we can do that. I know we can fill up a good box for Goodwill. :rolleyes:

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Spring is coming, I can feel it in the air. I have been off the computer for several months now, recently getting back on BYC and thought I would check in here. Kinda of sad that I let several months go by without posting. :(

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am pushing the envelope totally this year. I just started my pepper and tomato plants. I know it is too early but I can't help it. It was 55 degrees here today and I know that next week we could get a foot of snow but I will take my chances. :)

I have three BBS Orp eggs to incubate. I will collect over the next four or five days and then stick them in the incubator. I haven't told dh that yet, he will probably just :rolleyes:. I have decided to only keep BBS Orps and EEs. I will keep my egg layer pen until those chickens get done living the good life here. I have some for sale on Craiglist but never haven't much of a response.

Lots has happened and I just enjoy going back and reading this journal from a year ago. :)