Wanted baby Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog near WV

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
big brown horse said:
Though she has been gone for way over two decades, we still talk about her at every single family get together..."remember when Swift chased that pack of wild dogs off?" or "remember when Swift licked the abandoned litter of kittens like they were her own?"
Our Booger was the same way. i've run into people i went to high school with and haven't seen in years and they will ask about her! she was just so smart and sweet and no one can forget those crystal blue eyes and crazy patchwork markings.
Awww!

You know this is the first time I ever met other folks that loved their Catahoulas as much as we loved ours.

:love

We had a meat chicken (my fault, I brought him home from the feed store) that didn't move around much, she actually would sit with him and babysit him under the trees.

suzgwhite

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Unplanned - but a great litter none the less and from wonderful old lines.

This is not my litter, but I brought one of the females home for my breeding program.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
suzgwhite said:
Unplanned - but a great litter none the less and from wonderful old lines.

This is not my litter, but I brought one of the females home for my breeding program.
Can you give me a rough idea as to how much one of these dogs would go for, so I know whether to even consider getting one when I am ready for a new dog (which will probably be in about three years). You can pm me if you would prefer.

suzgwhite

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Not nearly as much as many breeds.

Well bred puppy $700-200
Started working dog - $1000+
Established working - upwards to $5000 (or more)
Still can be found advertised in the feed store for $50 with or w/o papers.

If you want quality and stick with good lines, I would plan on spending about $500 for a pup.

Keep in mind - this is a highly intelligent, sometimes willfull animal who will need a lot of both mental and physical stimulation.

Chickenkitty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have 4 catahoulas and do know the strong willed, intelligent mind of these dogs. I do not breed. there are several good sites to learn about the catahoulas.
The previous post for Tumblin' Run Catahoulas is a very well respected owner of Catahoulas, Their dogs are some of the best lines available.
There are pups out there for less than Suz quoted, you can look on the classified on BayDog Online. I prefer that you do go search through the catahoula rescue boards first.
And do a search for "Catahoula Leopard.com"(catahouligans) and look thru that website for good info on owning a 'houla.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think the OP has settled on a different and more available breed known as the American Muttdog. :D

I snagged her the biggest, most beautiful female from the Newfie/Visla mix litter from whence I chose my own. She seems delighted to have her little bundle of fur and I hope she continues to be delighted with her choice.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
:frow
I think the OP has settled on a different and more available breed known as the American Muttdog.
Yes, that is true, I found out that some of the breeders are just as high strung as the catahoula dogs. DD contacted a breeder in Florida a couple of weeks ago and asked about a little one that they had pictured on their web sight . They told her to mail a cashiers check or money order for the full amount $750 and they would put the pup on a plane.( DD has been robbed of a deposit on a puppy just recently and didn't get the puppy -$250), so DD says in message that she will write a personal check for the catahoula pup, then the "breeder" called her names by e-mail because they did not get the $750 cashiers check.

DD is discouraged and said she was not going to look for a dog anymore.

So I says, Sis those pups need a good home and I have a good home, so here she is:

1806_100_0366.jpg

1806_100_0370.jpg

Sometimes the mutts can be the best dogs. This little "bear" cub is so laid back and gentle compared to the Catahoula I adopted and un adopted. I think I like that. She's so young that she sleeps a lot, so we think her personality will bloom as she gets older.

To all who responded to this post: Thank you, but I think she is a keeper. She is using all the new stuff and eating very expensive dog food that DD bought for the puppy she never found. (DD is single and no child, so spends big on pets.)

I haven't named her yet.