Wanted baby Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog near WV

Chickenkitty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, that little bear known as american Muttdog is just beautiful!! congrats!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, doesn't she just look fat and spoiled!!!! :D And you've got her so glossy....she has a better quality coat than my Dewley but her sister, Tuesday, has one almost like it. Shorter, more dense and softer. Deeply black.

I think she is going to make you one great dog, Sis! Smart as a tack and can really turn on the puppy dog eyes.

Is she all hubby's yet or still part your dog? :p Mine really, really like Mom.... :rolleyes:

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Is she all hubby's yet or still part your dog? Mine really, really like Mom....
Is that a pillow she's sleeping on?
She is playing us both, so that is ok!

The little red thing under her head is a soft squeaky toy with a black tail, she put it there to rest her head.

She visited the vet today, got puppy shots and she still has round worms so she is being treated for that, also he said she needs to put on some weight. I guess the worms are holding her back a bit. I can't wait to see her when she recovers from them.

She didn't get sick riding in the car, she just accepts everything.

Her name is Carly. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great name! One of my fave singers! :D

He thought SHE needed to put on weight???? :th She is the largest one of the bunch...and the most hoggy! :p

I wormed again here the other day too. I'm trying to put some weight on these two but not too much....I read that it is tempting to overfeed these large breeds but it's hard on their bone formation.

Right now I am feeding twice a day, puppy chow and buttermilk with the occasional raw egg mixed in. It's coming out the other end as fast as I can throw it in!!! :sick Not diarrhea, but just a lot of little land mines in the wrong part of the yard..... :rolleyes:

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
He thought SHE needed to put on weight???? She is the largest one of the bunch...and the most hoggy!

I wormed again here the other day too. I'm trying to put some weight on these two but not too much....I read that it is tempting to overfeed these large breeds but it's hard on their bone formation.
:idunno I thought the same thing because we weighed her on the postal scales at the P.O. last week and she was 9.4# and the vet weighed her today at 11.+. The vet said she was too thin and was wheezing? (I think Carly has caught my cold that I got from my little 3 mo old grand neice in Michigan last week.) Any way the vet ask if she was coughing and took her temp and it was ok, I said no cough but she hiccups a lot. He said she was ok and wormed her, which will be repeated in 3 weeks, and again in 6 weeks.

DD had bought 150# of very expensive dog food for large breed puppies for the Great Dane puppy she ordered but didn't get, so I bought it from her for less than she paid for it, so I am set til next spring.

I lost a Gr. Pyrenees pup at 1yr. old because of growing him too fast, his heart did not keep up and he got stressed, when he went to another home and had heart failure. The vet said if we had kept him a little while longer then he would have been ok because his heart would have grown enough, he was as tall as one of the ponies that we owned at the time.

Definately get large breed puppy food, or put them on adult dog food to slow the growth.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My vet also recommends that when they are a couple of months old you should start giving a vitamin C pill daily. (large breeds only)

This helps with the cartilage growth so that they have less joint problems as adults. He also recommends feeding only regular a high quality adult dog food while these pups are growing. It grows them slower that puppy formula and is not so expensive as large breed formulas which he believes is a total waste of money. We raised A LOT of big healthy German Shepherd pups with his methods. Many of them finished at well over 100 pounds!

I can't say enough good things about Diamond Naturals dog food. Main ingredient is meat, no wheat or corn and much cheaper than other brands.

Some dog food now days! I mean who was the bright person that thought dogs should be eating soybeans as their main food or corn? Aren't dogs carnivores?

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I can't say enough good things about Diamond Naturals dog food. Main ingredient is meat, no wheat or corn and much cheaper than other brands.
I have 50# of Iams Lg. breed puppy, and a 100# of Solid Gold "Wolf Cub".
My DD's 9 yr. old Catahoula eats the Solid Gold and he has no health issues or arthritis, runs and jumps like a much younger dog, so it must be some good stuff. :D

There is less poop with these kind of dog food, sort of like an animal in the wild.

Could one just feed some raw hamburger, liver, chicken, etc. with the adult super market dogfood, as an upgrade? It wouldn't take very much and my local store puts out lots of marked down stuff.