wanting a 30-30 rifle...which brand to get?

AndysHomestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
id like to get a really good quality deer rifle...and i've always been a big fan of 30-30's.

i've been looking at some henry rifles but they are a lil higher than i wanted to pay...and im wondering what brand gun i should go with? any recommendations?

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm a winchester fan. they are pretty good on prices and you can usually find a good used one for good money.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly, I've always been a Savage fan. Incredibly inexpensive and wonderful guns. Very accurate guns, and seem to hold up pretty well.

jhad1066

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've been hemming and hawing on this exact question myself...In my research I narrowed it down to a Marlin 336. I was considering Winchester, Mossburg, Rossi and Marlin. The Winchester was taken out of the running because it is a top eject, this would make mounting a scope more difficult than I want. Mossburg has been making shotguns FOEVER but has only started making the lever action 30/30. So I was tied up between the Marlin and Rossi. At my local gun shop the Marlin came in 10.00 cheaper than the Rossi. So 10.00 cheaper and made in the US...Marlin Wins!

But YMMV

Jim

AndysHomestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.... i think im just gonna shop around until i find a deal i cant turn down. i just want to find one before deer season kicks in and the prices of guns go up.

i went into the local walmart tonight...and was shocked at how much ammo costs now. i was wanting to get a few boxes to put up, but yikes....could only get 2 boxes.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Since The Other Half is the gun nut and uber researcher here is what he has to say:

He said check the Marlin XL7 (which wouldn't be 30/30, but price is good).

He suggested checking online - www.gunbroker.com has good prices on used guns. Also www.ableammo.com for both guns and ammo. www.slickguns.com is a site where users post deals that they find on the internet so it can be a good resource, but he cautions to stay away from Bud's Gun Shop (he had his credit card info stolen from there and won't shop there any more).

He said ammo prices have been going up and down a lot lately, so shop around. There are good deals to be found on the internet if you're ok with that.

Best of luck, happy hunting (gun shopping and going after the deer!). If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a message and he'll get you some more info.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I recommend the Henry for several reasons. Every piece of the gun is made in the USA. They are high quality with great customer service. You will spend a bit more but IMO it is well worth it to get a quality firearm that was made here.

Chad