Washing soda

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I bought a couple of boxes on line - along with that fels-naptha soap to make laundry detergent. Perhaps I'll look around and see if they have the other items in my store.
I was able to buy everything in the store that I needed except the fels naptha, I had ordered that online as well.
But the last batch I made I substitued ivory soap when I didn't have any of the fels naptha and it worked just as well.
I couldn't find the stuff in my store either the first couple of times I looked. But its right in the section with the bleach, second row. It was probably right in front of my face the whole time.
I hate paying shipping for anything so I love when I can get it in the stores.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You can order it from Arm & Hammers websie too. They realize there is a hard time finding it & have a locator service on their site too. So try there first.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If the store you frequent doesn't carry it, ask to speak with whoever is in charge of order. (at mine it was the pharmacist) you can request items to be ordered. If it's an odd item, they may ask you to purchase the whole case. But I doubt they would for soap! It's worth a shot!

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If any of ya'll live in the midwest and have a HyVee grocery store, they carry it as well as borax and fels naptha.

Flusher

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have been unable to find washing soda, so I bought the Arm & Hammer baking soda that is in my store's laundry isle. Seems to work just fine. I also use Ivory Soap in mine & it's dandy.

What I need to find is essential oils. They don't sell those at Wal Mart-at least, I haven't seen any!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
essential oils --go to a health food store. always have them. walmart might have them in the craft area.

ANYONE do a true cost analysis of their homemade laundry detergent vs. the cheap like "dollar store" brand?

Just curious on price comparison and what the savings would be say, over a year?

I make homemade and never did a real cost analysis??? Hmm....wondering if anyone else put pen to paper to know a real cost per load etc....LOL

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
essential oils --go to a health food store. always have them. walmart might have them in the craft area.

ANYONE do a true cost analysis of their homemade laundry detergent vs. the cheap like "dollar store" brand?

Just curious on price comparison and what the savings would be say, over a year?

I make homemade and never did a real cost analysis??? Hmm....wondering if anyone else put pen to paper to know a real cost per load etc....LOL
I haven't either. I'm lucky that I can get all the ingredients at my local Big Y grocery store. I have a two gallon bucket full of laundry detergent. Next time I'll write it all down.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
At the price of my ingredients, my homemade laundry soap is around $.89 per 80 loads of laundry, as opposed to SUN brand from the Dollar General at $10 per 80 loads. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just saw at Walmart---150 loads of SUN brand for $9.97. The price sticker said 2.9 cents per ounce. So Tony picked one up....I kept saying I had plenty but he said he didn't think I could make it for that...LOL

So it got me wondering. It was a 130 load box with the "extra" 20 loads included.....

Then I got to looking at Purex, Tide, Gain, etc. and they were mainly 8.9 cents oz. with Tide and some coming in at 11.9 cents per ounce.

Whew...confusing after awhile...well anyway I got 150 loads of SUN for $9.97 so I THINK I did good???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would say you did well!! :D That's only slightly more than my $.01.1 per load, but without the looking for ingredients and the making of it.