Washingtonians welcome!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, see that is what has me jealous . . . the fruit trees.

Well, we chose our place because it did have a barn (pole barn, enclosed except for the horse stalls) and it had perimeter fencing all around it. So we started with a lot of what I would consider expensive and important improvements to the land, however the house is not much to speak of. :p We decided the land and improvements were more important than immediate gratification of good living quarters. The longer range plan is to build something efficient to live in.

We did inherit 4 fruit trees, 2 apples and 2 pears, but I don't like pears much and would rather have lots of apples. We have since planted fruit and nut trees, and we are w a i t i n g . . . .

We did manage to get a greenhouse up, but only have it covered in plastic greenhouse sheeting -- some day we hope to install permanent glazing.

Other than that we have been digging and digging and digging to get some gardens going. We have so many rocks where we are, that we are trying to remove and make some good permanent beds. We did some raised beds, but digging things into the ground seems like a more water-conscious way of gardening . . . so most of the more permanent plants require a lot of hard labor.

We have ducks and just put up a chicken coop. My mom is getting chickens to keep at our place. Well, half will be mine and half will be hers. She is really excited. :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ROCKS!!!!! :he

Do you have a rototiller?

Your house sounds like ours, not much to write home about!
We bought for the land too. The house will do for now. :D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
No, I'm of the no-till mindset, or at least that is my excuse. I figure since the rocks have to go, I'm not sure a rototiller would do me much good. Then once the bed has been worked once, why bother messing with it again? :)

I take it you are plauged with rocks too? LOL

Good to know we are in the same boat with our houses. Ha ha ha. You have to have your priorities in life, ya know!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I agree with you on the rototiller thing, once its tilled is tilled. But one came with our house and it seems to be man enough for the potato sized and smaller rocks that I had hiding under the grass where my garden is now.

Trying to put up fencing with hidden rocks and even small boulders was quite a challenge for me. But it kept me in shape...then, but now? Forget it!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yeah, I figure dig it deep and dig it once and be done with it. LOL

Yes, I will admit that all these rocks are keeping me in good shape. At the beginning of this season I was groaning that I had to dig another bed out, but by the second bed, it seems easy as pie all of a sudden!?!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh, well our region traditionally grows hazelnuts.

Walnuts will do ok. I don't know about pecans. I would imagine they would do fine.

We got hazelnut, chestnut, and walnut.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
So do you have horses DrakeMaiden?

Your winter was rough but it didn't scare us off. It was nothing like a steamy hot summer in Texas!!

My horses however had some adjusting to do!! They acutally came in from the weather at night into the carport!!! I used livestock panels to section off stalls. Thank GAUD they are calm or they could have torn the house down!!!

I ride around here as much as possible there is a lake (public) and lots of trails nearby that I ride my big brown horse to. I hate riding on the side of the road to get there though!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
No, unfortunately I don't own a horse. That is one of those things I have always wanted to do, but when I grew up and realized how expensive they are . . . well, I'm not so interested. I think I would have a heart attack over vet bills. LOL

I do love horses though. :)

The previous owner had horses on our property, so our barn had two nice stalls.

Your hot steamy Texas summers would probably kill me. LOL I am a certified heat wimp.

There are some great trails in my area, if you have a trailer. Actually, my wonderful neighbor is a member of an organization for backcountry horse riding. (The name of the organization is escaping me right now). If you want more info, you can pm me.

I'm glad your horses made it through the winter, and I do hope you manage to get your barn together before fall! Poor horsies!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have looked that horse group up already!! You are right I think it is called Back Country Horse back riding or something like that. I will probably be joining now that the weather is (well, not today or yesterday :( ) getting warmer and the days longer.

Nope, I never had a trailer. I used to stable them in a place where there was access to trailers if need be. The horses were "delivered" up here by a company. We actually have only a Honda Civic for the whole family. Maybe if I didn't own horses I could afford my own vehicle!! :gig