Water Authority to Inspect Property Tomorrow!!!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a letter in the mail from the local water authority saying they need to inspect my property and to make sure I have a check valve to prevent back flow into the main water supply. I called them today and he said he was driving by and noticed my "EGGS FOR SALE" sign. He says he needs to inspect the property since I own livestock. I asked what he would look for. He said any standing water near the chickens with hoses laying in it or irrigation near the coop. I asked what would happen if he didn't like what he saw and he said I'd need to get the check valve put on in my house. He then started saying something about my children(who does he know I have children). He said that he knows they must enjoy having the chickens and that they probably help with them. I think he was trying to insinuate that they may be in danger of getting sick. So, while setting up the appointment for him to inspect he said, "you're home most days?" How did he know I'm a stay at home mom? I'm thinking someone in my neighborhood reported me. sad Now, first of all I only have 10 hens. That's it. No other livestock at all. Second, there are no puddles at all. The coop is set on the highest point of my property. It's CLEAN. There is no irrigation or hoses near the coop. I THINK we already have the check valve on the house. I did notice that on the bottom of the letter that it was CCed to the Health Department. hmm I'm a little worried. Should I be???

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I wouldn't be. I'd just be pleasant and show him that there are no problems. Where I used to live this sorta thing happened from time to time, but it never amounted to anything.

Here in the hills, they kinda look at you funny if you don't have animals. :lol:

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I wouldn't be. I'd just be pleasant and show him that there are no problems. Where I used to live this sorta thing happened from time to time, but it never amounted to anything.

Here in the hills, they kinda look at you funny if you don't have animals. :lol:
Thanks! That eases my mind a bit. I did clean the coop out today. Just in case I wanted it to look really clean. ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Neighbors can be a PITA!!!!! I would so love to live where I don't have any.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your papahs please ? Step aside as we conduct a search of your property. ;)

On an another list I see. :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Me, being the pain in the ass that I am would ask "Do you have a warrant?"

and then go sit on the porch and clean my gun.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

:lol: :gig

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

I agree. The census people hated me. :) 2 adults BYE BYE!!! The lady started some bullcrap reason saying I had to answer all her questions. I said " 2 adults , male, female. Now leave or I will make you leave" She then tried stairing me down. Really bad idea. I told her I was not the U.N . and I don't keep giving warnings. My warnings run out after 2. She got the point ans left nicely. :)

It's getting old people and I'm tired of it. :)

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would be a pain back to him, when they come to inspect the property. I would let them know that you are a closed flock. To prevent diseases. Quiz him on the various diseases that they can carry to your property, from another property that they may have inspected that same day. Go to the hospital, get some of those paper booties. Get some disinfectant that kills the type of diseases that chickens carry. Spray his clothes with the spray and make them wear disposable plastic gloves and the booties. Make him realize you are on top of it and there is no worry about your chickens. And that you take cleanlyness of your chickens a number one priority.

That is what I would do.

Or what Wifezilla said..