Water Storage

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hmmm...a Water Bob is a single use item. I think I would use all the filtered water for drinking and cooking. Rainwater and non-potable is fine for flushing.

AZ Rabbits

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
Hmmm...a Water Bob is a single use item.
I have a Water Bob in each bathroom. It is for single use, but if something happens and you do have time to collect the water before contamination occurs, it is quite a bit of drinkable water. Otherwise, bathtubs are far too dirty to drink safely. Very dangerous.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
AZ Rabbits said:
Hmmm...a Water Bob is a single use item.
I have a Water Bob in each bathroom. It is for single use, but if something happens and you do have time to collect the water before contamination occurs, it is quite a bit of drinkable water. Otherwise, bathtubs are far too dirty to drink safely. Very dangerous.
I am still looking into it.

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Water bobs are great for emergency catch the water before it's gone use( we used to fill our tubs when wTer was shut down or something happened. There good for extra wAter in emergencies. Not really worth it to fill them up when I need the tub lol, but good to have on han. I use 55 gallon barrels, and we have a hot tub, 30 cases of bottled water we rotate and 5 gallon containers as well .we have around 400 gallons on hand always that's drinkable, and a hot tub for laundry etc.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We used to always fill the tub, and all containers, before evacuating for hurricanes. Sometimes, when we returned, it was he only water we had. Till utilities got turned back on. Even then, water had to be boiled.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We used to always fill the tub, and all containers, before evacuating for hurricanes. Sometimes, when we returned, it was he only water we had. Till utilities got turned back on. Even then, water had to be boiled.
That's the idea behind the Bob--emergency clean potable water that you don't have to boil :)

If you can fill it before the water stops running.

So it's important to have other stored/sources of water in addition to the Bob, but I think it's a great idea for extra insurance.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh definitely!! It might be a great consideration for a BOB situation.....because, if it comes down to it....we need water ....clean potable water....first priority. The only time I would foresee not being able to fill it..would be post tornado.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It would seem to me that finding water will always be easier than finding water you can drink. With that in mind, I guess I would recommend concentrating on how to make water clean and safe. Unless you live in the Sahara desert or similar environment, water is there and can be obtained but having the ability to convert it to a safe drink is to me, THE NAME OF THE GAME.

I know ~gd didn't like my recommendations earlier because he is a chemist and has experience in water chemistry but I was just a guy who learned to survive and water was at the top of the list after security and shelter. :/
YMMV
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
It would seem to me that finding water will always be easier than finding water you can drink. With that in mind, I guess I would recommend concentrating on how to make water clean and safe. Unless you live in the Sahara desert or similar environment, water is there and can be obtained but having the ability to convert it to a safe drink is to me, THE NAME OF THE GAME.

I know ~gd didn't like my recommendations earlier because he is a chemist and has experience in water chemistry but I was just a guy who learned to survive and water was at the top of the list after security and shelter. :/
YMMV
Trim sends
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1808_images.jpeg
//BT//
Exactly!! I had my own experience with contaminated well water, in TX. That was almost 20 years ago, and I still deal with the after effects. I am just trying to have different ways to catch rain water.....and save the well water for drinking. I totaled up our rain for last year...we are 8" under "normal, moderate drought", and the water tables running constantly low does not help us in the least. Our well has run low twice so far, in the 19 months since we moved in. Both times in august. We haven't been able to do the stats on our well yet, and as far as we know, it isn't registered at the courthouse. It should be. But, haven't found it yet.

We have several nice garden beds, but, what is the point of trying to grow veggies if they dry up during the hot summer months. We need to try to grow things. But, it is all just a vast experiment for us right now. Trying to find out what grows best where. On this one acre, there are several different micro environments. Some stuff grows better in other spots, so we are finding out.

Okay, so now we have 10 thirty two gallon plastic trash cans, 1 small square tote, four 5 gallon buckets, a 275 water tote and 350 water tote IBC. The small barrels I use for laundry. And chickens. The IBC's, will be garden water. We get plenty of rain from our roofs. When...it rains. That leaves the well water for drinking, bathing and cooking. I recycle bathroom water as much as possible, since it is the furthest from the hot water tank. I collect the run off for the hot, and use it to clean with. And we practice selective flushing. It is just myself here anyways, 5 days a week, during the day.

So, I am looking at the Water Bob as a good option for collecting potable water. Right now, we only have the one tub. But, we have done the outside showers at least. when we first bought the place, and had no indoor plumbing. It was all a mess and needed to be fixed before it was usable.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:

YMMV
Trim sends
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1808_images.jpeg
//BT//
Exactly!! I had my own experience with contaminated well water, in TX. That was almost 20 years ago, and I still deal with the after effects. I am just trying to have different ways to catch rain water.....and save the well water for drinking. I totaled up our rain for last year...we are 8" under "normal, moderate drought", and the water tables running constantly low does not help us in the least. Our well has run low twice so far, in the 19 months since we moved in. Both times in august. We haven't been able to do the stats on our well yet, and as far as we know, it isn't registered at the courthouse. It should be. But, haven't found it yet.

We have several nice garden beds, but, what is the point of trying to grow veggies if they dry up during the hot summer months. We need to try to grow things. But, it is all just a vast experiment for us right now. Trying to find out what grows best where. On this one acre, there are several different micro environments. Some stuff grows better in other spots, so we are finding out.

Okay, so now we have 10 thirty two gallon plastic trash cans, 1 small square tote, four 5 gallon buckets, a 275 water tote and 350 water tote IBC. The small barrels I use for laundry. And chickens. The IBC's, will be garden water. We get plenty of rain from our roofs. When...it rains. That leaves the well water for drinking, bathing and cooking. I recycle bathroom water as much as possible, since it is the furthest from the hot water tank. I collect the run off for the hot, and use it to clean with. And we practice selective flushing. It is just myself here anyways, 5 days a week, during the day.

So, I am looking at the Water Bob as a good option for collecting potable water. Right now, we only have the one tub. But, we have done the outside showers at least. when we first bought the place, and had no indoor plumbing. It was all a mess and needed to be fixed before it was usable.
I have kept up with your posts here and wonder if you have ever looked into drip irrigation? I did that when I lived in Texas and it worked really good. You put the water right on the base of the plants, not all over the garden so that the weeds get starved for water! Really cuts down on the effort to get a good garden to grow...way less weeding.

I tried soaker hoses too and that was OK but drip irrigation was great!!!! My water consumption went WAY down and my production went WAY UP.
Give it a look Moxie
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//