Water Storage

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HEY nuggets, did you think that what SC calls a drought could be three times what the old Ram would consider a wet year? Heck one huricane sitting off the coast could give you more rain in a day then he sees in a year. The Low Country of SC used to raise RICE, not a dry area crop. I sit up in the old north state [NC] and they call 42 inches a year a drought, it is pretty much a relative term.
Up here a subdivision not on city water usually has to have a pond for fire fighters use. Ponds are cheap and easy to build and the developer of the subdivision charges more for "lakefrount" lots.

Australia as a whole<According to the Bureau of Meteorology, 80% of the land have a rainfall less than 600 mm (24 in) per year and 50% having even less than 300 mm (12 in).

SC according to Wikipedia <While precipitation is abundant the entire year in almost the entire state, the coast tends to have a slightly wetter summer, while inland, March tends to be the wettest month and winter being the driest season

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
HEY nuggets, did you think that what SC calls a drought could be three times what the old Ram would consider a wet year? Heck one huricane sitting off the coast could give you more rain in a day then he sees in a year. The Low Country of SC used to raise RICE, not a dry area crop. I sit up in the old north state [NC] and they call 42 inches a year a drought, it is pretty much a relative term.
Up here a subdivision not on city water usually has to have a pond for fire fighters use. Ponds are cheap and easy to build and the developer of the subdivision charges more for "lakefrount" lots.
Australia as a whole<According to the Bureau of Meteorology, 80% of the land have a rainfall less than 600 mm (24 in) per year and 50% having even less than 300 mm (12 in).
Okay...fine. But I wasn't being smart about it...just asking questions. BTW...I lived 15 yrs in hurricane country, 2 years down in the Low Country, and was born and raised in tornado alley. I am just new to rural living dependent on a well. I didn't make it up that SC is in a drought. It was in the news for several years now, that GA is running low on reservoire water, and Lake Hartwell has been very low.

Upstate SC....and Low Country SC...both get more rain then we see here in the Midlands (Saluda County) SC.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
~gd said:
Okay...fine. But I wasn't being smart about it...just asking questions. BTW...I lived 15 yrs in hurricane country, 2 years down in the Low Country, and was born and raised in tornado alley. I am just new to rural living dependent on a well. I didn't make it up that SC is in a drought. It was in the news for several years now, that GA is running low on reservoire water, and Lake Hartwell has been very low.

Upstate SC....and Low Country SC...both get more rain then we see here in the Midlands (Saluda County) SC.
Sorry nuggets but I took your comments about Brush Fires as being 'smart' I have been in touch with a few Australians [including TOR] over the years and few think brush fires are funny.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had plenty of brush/prairie fires at my doorstep out in Eastern KS...just before I moved to SC in 2008. I was just asking TOR if their home owners insurance required that they have a 2K water cistern......where we live...the closest fire hydrant is 6 miles away. And ....our well having run low 2x already, since we bought the place 18 months ago..... has me a little concerned. I know nothing of the water storage issue, just that we need to have some. If for nothing else, fire control.

AZ Rabbits

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We store water in several ways. We have our 55 gallon water storage barrels that are good for drinking, washing, etc. We can get them locally (used for Coca Cola syrup) for about $12 each. Then we have 5 gallon "water cooler" containers for drinking. Then a Water Bob for storing water in the tub if an emergency happens. Besides that, we have water purification methods and other not-so-clean sources that would need purified. You can almost never store enough water. So purification methods should always couple the actual storage.

It doesn't rain a ton in AZ, but I'd like to set up a rain water collection system.

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I consider myself lucky with my water supply. I live in the country, on top of natural springs and have a very plentiful supply of natural water. I do have a water pump which is controlled by solar power (I'm slowly getting off grid) and so if for whatever reason the pump stops working, I still have 1,000 gallons stored in the holding tank before the faucets no longer run. But that 1,000 will give me enough time to fix whatever problem is being encountered. This one well gives me 900 gallons an hour. Now if the well goes dry (it will some day, though been living here since '91 and have yet to have problems), I have another source tapped near my field (which is half a block from the house) and that one well gives me roughly 700 gallons an hour.

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
This thread would prob go well with the one I started in "Trash to Treasure". I posted on "Water Treasure", because here in SC we are in a severe drought and I have been having to find temp rain water sotrage solutions, for the almost non-existant rain we get occasionally. Granted, the rainwater I am accumulating is not potable, but I can and do use it for eYou verything else.
No gutters...using 32 gallon trash cans topped with screen...I was able to get 240 gallons of rainwater off of 1.1" inch of rain. I am also writing doen on the calendar any rain we get and how much. We are new to this property, and seem to be in a dry spot, meteorologically.
you can use this to drink, and it's very easy. There is a ceramic water filter you can get for 35.00 and put it in a five gallon bucket, on top of another and it will slowly go through and filter down to microns of bugs and such making it drinkable :)

I have purchased 5 -55 gallon containers for water and also did the same for my parents . 275 gallons of water is stored here and also 5 5 gallon containers. We are also equipped with great filters in case we need to go find water.

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
AZ Rabbits said:
We store water in several ways. We have our 55 gallon water storage barrels that are good for drinking, washing, etc. We can get them locally (used for Coca Cola syrup) for about $12 each. Then we have 5 gallon "water cooler" containers for drinking. Then a Water Bob for storing water in the tub if an emergency happens. Besides that, we have water purification methods and other not-so-clean sources that would need purified. You can almost never store enough water. So purification methods should always couple the actual storage.

It doesn't rain a ton in AZ, but I'd like to set up a rain water collection system.
Getting A water bob to, they look awesome , and yep always have water purification stuff on hand. We have several methods, trickle down, pump and of course the tablets

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just googled the Water Bob and it looks very cool! Doesn't look like they ship to Canada though, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for a local source of something similar. We have two bathtubs and have always run full tubs when we've had advance warning that our water was going to be shut off, but it's not exactly the most germ-free room in the house for standing water so we mostly used it for cleaning/dishwashing (after boiling) and toilet flushing.