Ways to loose belly fat

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Didn't they bust vibration of any kind working back in the 50s?

Just got to eat less and understand that the belly will be the last place you actually loose the fat because that's how the human body works.

Speaking of which, back around '91 or so in health class the calorie chart we had impressed upon us was 1200 for teenage females and 1800 for teenage males. Less for adults. More if you're actually doing something that requires more. I always thought that the 2000 calorie thing was weird and awfully high when it was first on labels.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found that my belly fat was one of the first to go when I started on the keto diet. I wonder if it was because I pretty much cut all wheat; I've read about wheat being a major culprit in belly fat, but I don't know if it's true.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Speaking of which, back around '91 or so in health class the calorie chart we had impressed upon us was 1200 for teenage females and 1800 for teenage males. Less for adults. More if you're actually doing something that requires more. I always thought that the 2000 calorie thing was weird and awfully high when it was first on labels.

1,200 kcal for teenage females is dreadfully low. A 14 year old female weighing 120 pounds needs 1,400 kcal just for normal body processes. That is, to maintain weight in a coma.

Add 1 hour of moderate activity (such as during gym class and a sport), and 2 hours of walking (5 minutes per hour, and that puts energy expenditure at 2,700 kcal.

At 14 through 18 years old, males only require *200* more kcal per day than females.

At 34 years old, lean weight 135 pounds, female, standing/walking 6 hours per day, my TDEE is 2,120. My basal is lower than a teen, but it's still over 1,200.

Calories-in-calories-out is extremely flawed and doesn't hold up in real life because the body metabolizes different macros in different ways. Totally another topic. But if one does ascribe to CICO, the 1,200 kcal for teen female and 1,800 for teen males are way off base, both in amount and proportion to each other.

This calculator is very accurate - but only if you are recording your activity levels accurately. Most people overestimate. ;)

https://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I may have a pet peeve about women starving themselves!!! Funny thing is that on standard American diet, women can accumulate a large amount of body fat while the rest of their body is literally starving. :'( When we don't eat enough we get sick, lose muscle mass, lose bone mass, reduce heart stroke volume, so many other things that take a toll over the years. I don't believe that all of the diseases and conditions that hit women harder than men are because of reproductive hormones. I think a lot is due to chronic underfeeding.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Keto didn't make a difference for me for losing the belly fat. :(
I have a bit of belly fat. It's the first bit to gain and last to lose. I have to get under 130# (at 5'9") to lose it. But BMI that low is associated with 47% increased risk of death for all causes, so I'm not motivated to lose that little bit.

Oh well. Low carb is still so much healthier I'll stick to it for reasons other than vanity. :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do notice my belly shrink with keto - but maybe there is such a thing as wheat belly? I love bread of all kinds - and it's the first thing I give up with Keto...sigh.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The charts look good but, can't get them to work. I get NAN on each one when I tap it.. ??

BUT -- I'm good. Recent wellness check shows that :) I'm interested in seeing calorie count recommended. Not that it matters as I'm fortunate to eat what I want and body pretty well self regulates. At my age I do see less heavy muscle and more wrinkles & a couple spots of fat. At 19.5 BMI, not much of it but, still there. We do lose muscle and memory...:lol: