Ways to stake tomatoes?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well and other things too, but I mostly care about the tomatoes!
Yea - other things are okay, lol! But tomatoes are KING/QUEEN? of the garden! I will be so PO'd if something interferes with my tomatoes this year.... They look so good....so far. :fl

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Heck no! Peas are the king of the garden! :gig. Tomatoes second! :gig

@NH Homesteader , I find that Roma and beefsteak are the last to ripen. If you are struggling to get tomatoes before frost, grow cherry tomatoes. They're a pain to pick, but easy to process for making sauce, just cook and run through a food mill! Easy!

I have read that determinate varieties and pruning helps you get to harvest faster. Also monitoring their care to keep them from getting vegetative. Apparently some varieties are more vegetative than others. This is all new to me - I read about it over winter.

This book is worth the price tag, even if you never grow in a greenhouse. I read dozens of greenhouse and growing books this past winter and spring. This is the only one I would read again. I might buy it even though I can get it from the library - it's THAT good! https://www.amazon.com/Greenhouse-Hoophouse-Growers-Handbook-Production/dp/1603586377

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I do have some cherry tomatoes started. We'll see how I do this year! I have crummy soil, so raised beds or containers may help while I work on that!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have found that, though they take longer, Romas and other paste type tomatoes hold up better to early frosts. I'm still able to pick some when the beefsteaks are turning to mush.